Palin's to-be son-in-law HS dropout

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I read your post. But I still wanted to try make my points without sounding like such an ass, you know.

The last time I took this much shit, the topic was legalizing drugs. The extremely unpopular side that I argued was that if all drugs were legalized, then there would be a danger of the public becoming enslaved by heroin-and-cocaine dealing corporations that operated like McDonalds, because when it comes to certain things, people might not be able to take care of themselves. I could have been saying the same thing about people getting screwed by Wall Street against their best interests, because they didn't know any better.

But instead, now I argue on the other side, that people should be able to take care of themselves when it comes to financial planning. We need to respect that people can decide what to do with their money. This, however, makes them accountable for the state of their personal finances, in as much as they have the freedom to manage them. I think that this needs to be acknowledged, especially by the outspoken by the same champions of personal freedom and choice.

Now I know that it's important to tear me a new anus for sounding like an overly self-impressed obnoxious smartass prick (I'm sure E-rock can put this better), but what is it going to be, guys? You did a pretty good job of convincing me to accept peoples' freedom and ability to choose what is best for them. But doesn't that mean there has to be at least some personal accountability here?

Of course I read your post. But I still wanted to try make my points without sounding like such an ass, you know.

The last time I took this much shit, the topic was legalizing drugs. The extremely unpopular side that I argued was that if all drugs were legalized, then there would be a danger of the public becoming enslaved by heroin-and-cocaine dealing corporations that operated like McDonalds, because when it comes to certain things, people might not be able to take care of themselves. I could have been saying the same thing about people getting screwed by Wall Street against their best interests, because they didn't know any better.

But instead, now I argue on the other side, that people should be able to take care of themselves when it comes to financial planning. We need to respect that people can decide what to do with their money. This, however, makes them accountable for the state of their personal finances, in as much as they have the freedom to manage them. I think that this needs to be acknowledged, especially by the outspoken by the same champions of personal freedom and choice.

Now I know that it's important to tear me a new anus for sounding like an overly self-impressed obnoxious smartass prick (I'm sure E-rock can put this better), but what is it going to be, guys? You did a pretty good job of convincing me to accept peoples' freedom and ability to choose what is best for them. But doesn't that mean there has to be at least some personal accountability here?

Screw them: that's a well reasoned and thought out post right there.