Palin's to-be son-in-law HS dropout

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am not knowledgeable about 401Ks, but I thought that most gave the employee/investor sufficient leeway in the choice of investments to have at least presented the theoretical possibility of avoiding the stock market depreciation of the past few weeks. Or can you not buy bonds in most 401Ks?

I'm not trying to kick people while they are down. I'm trying to make sense of this just like everyone else, and thinking about what individual investors could/should have done differently, which bears directly on how to invest in the future. We don't have a lot of control over what the banks and markets do, but do have (some) control over what we do with our earnings and investments.

Aside from you being the biggest dick with the smallest weenie on CC.com, you clearly don't know shit about 401K's.

Here's some facts, douche-bag:

The conventional wisdom on 401K's is that you have to be in stocks for a long time to reap the benfits. Otherwise put your savings a money market and let inflation steal your retirement savings away from you.

Bond funds have lost money in many people's 401K's. But you're right, everyone should have ignored the conventional wisdom and counted on overly conservative means to carry us through.

P.S. You're a fuckstick.

Edited by E-rock

Well I am not knowledgeable about 401Ks, but I thought that most gave the employee/investor sufficient leeway in the choice of investments to have at least presented the theoretical possibility of avoiding the stock market depreciation of the past few weeks. Or can you not buy bonds in most 401Ks?

I'm not trying to kick people while they are down. I'm trying to make sense of this just like everyone else, and thinking about what individual investors could/should have done differently, which bears directly on how to invest in the future. We don't have a lot of control over what the banks and markets do, but do have (some) control over what we do with our earnings and investments.

Aside from you being the biggest dick with the smallest weenie on CC.com, you clearly don't know shit about 401K's.

The conventional wisdom on 401K's is that you have to be in stocks for a long time to reap the benfits. Otherwise put your savings a money market and let inflation steal your retirement savings away from you.

Bond funds have lost money in many people's 401K's. But you're right, everyone should have ignored the conventional wisdom and counted on overly conservative means to carry us through.

P.S. You're a fuckstick.

I was enjoying the "everyone must lead hard trad hardman" chastising others for taking risk, it was preciously ironic.

I'm just glad I'm not near retirement age...

You do understand, Marylou, that one must actually work in order to retire?

Just like you, I have a fulltime job--the difference being mine is not contributing to the obesity of America's children, and the adult onset diabetes of adults. :o

P.S. You're a fuckstick.

Your tourrettic outbursts are getting pretty ridiculous. Did you just characterize an avoidance of a 40%+ loss in one's retirement fund as "overly conservative?"

Perhaps you're just bitter for having bought wholesale into Wall Street's brainwashing to the effect of "inflation is the greatest threat to your wealth." That's right folks, if you don't give us every dime you own today, then it will be worthless tomorrow! Nevermind what we're going to do with that dime...

Clearly, we let them shove the Gospel of Growth a little too far down our throats, and now we are left vomiting up the poison, rueing our very willing ingestion of the bullshit, and awaiting the dreadful financial hangover.

Like a spoiled teenager, we imagine that we can keep rapidly growing forever. What will happen when it becomes impossible to continue pretending that real production is guaranteed to increase exponentially? Are we now already seeing signs of the inevitable temper tantrum?

P.S. You're a fuckstick.

Your tourrettic outbursts are getting pretty ridiculous. Did you just characterize an avoidance of a 40%+ loss in one's retirement fund as "overly conservative?"

Perhaps you're just bitter for having bought wholesale into Wall Street's brainwashing to the effect of "inflation is the greatest threat to your wealth." That's right folks, if you don't give us every dime you own today, then it will be worthless tomorrow! Nevermind what we're going to do with that dime...

Clearly, we let them shove the Gospel of Growth a little too far down our throats, and now we are left vomiting up the poison, rueing our very willing ingestion of the bullshit, and awaiting the dreadful financial hangover.

Like a spoiled teenager, we imagine that we can keep rapidly growing forever. What will happen when it becomes impossible to continue pretending that real production is guaranteed to increase exponentially? Are we now already seeing signs of the inevitable temper tantrum?

ohhhh, he's channeling Malthus!

proability, learn it, love it

Wow, Ass_wipejustin. You'll be laughing to your grave with your piggy-bank retirement fund, won't you?

Here's a clue:

Again you're blaming everyday people for a financial problem that was out of their control, and the control of their elected representative officials. But we're not great, smart math weenies like you, are we? In my opinion, the financial "slowdown" largely has to do with some pretty irresponsible policies of an administration with some frighteningly strong ideological beliefs about the world, its wealth, and who deserves most of it. Nobody bought into any brainwashing. They played the hand they were dealt. But it's easy to be all condescending and omniscient from your graduate-school vantage point because you think it's gonna work out just fine for you because you're smarter than everyone else.

I make it no secret that I think you're a dick, because you're a know-it-all angry fuckwad who immediately believes that every mistake someone makes renders them beneath you. And I know that you don't THINK you believe that, but your posts have shown it over and over. You're such a prick, it's impossible to even tell what your politics are.

"Hugh," your coming around. Probability. Why are people shocked when something we know can and probably will happen, happens? Grow the fuck up, people. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world, and the sooner you stop bawling and bitching about how it's not fair, the sooner you'll be able to pick up the pieces and move ahead. Empowerment begins with introspection.

To the other anonymous, irate shitslinger... I'm the one who is angry? Maybe you should take a step back and look at the heaping pile filth that you have aggressively flung in my direction.

Look, it's already obvious that you don't have a clue what I have said, or what I am about. This is not because I wasn't clear, rather, it is because you are too busy jacking off to your own attempts at character assassination to listen. You don't want to understand what I am saying--that wouldn't suit your purpose of twisting my words for your own sick entertainment.

-I am blaming everyone, in proportion to their responsibility ("everyday people" the least as it turns out )

-my background is irrelevant; I am not saying a single thing that a 17-year-old electrician couldn't tell you

-I'm obviously subject to these societal woes

-I never said that I know everything (seriously, WTF?)

-your personal views on who you think I am, from a relatively sparse posting history, are both uncalled-for and irrelevant

It's plainly obvious that I'm simply throwing out an alternate way of looking at things, that unfortunately for you delusional sissyboys does not align with your need to viciously blame everyone but yourself, and your need to perpetuate a view of reality that may be vanishing before your eyes.

You ought to stop trying to falsely assign to me arguments and feelings that I have not made, and do not possess. It is a waste of your time and my time (although you clearly enjoy it). More importantly, it is not fair to the everyone else that you attempt to invent an enemy out of me, instead of agreeing with me that it's time for us to sack up and move on.

Edited by ashw_justin

Why are people shocked when something we know can and probably will happen, happens? Grow the fuck up, people. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world, and the sooner you stop bawling and bitching about how it's not fair, the sooner you'll be able to pick up the pieces and move ahead. Empowerment begins with introspection.

I rest my case: You suck.

"Hugh," your coming around. Probability. Why are people shocked when something we know can and probably will happen, happens? Grow the fuck up, people. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world, and the sooner you stop bawling and bitching about how it's not fair, the sooner you'll be able to pick up the pieces and move ahead. Empowerment begins with introspection.

Darling asswipe: Every investment has a probability of failure. Governments default on bonds too ya know.

Everyday persons' not particularly novel economic recovery plan

by: some random guy on the internet who may or may not know anything (amazing that I actually have to explicitly say this)

1. Get up

2. Stop crying

3. Pull your shit together and figure out how to take care of yourself for the time being

4. Admit that you could have done better

5. Accept personal responsibility, learn from any mistakes you made

6. Wrestle your country's public financial system from the greedy mutherfuckers who have, and will continue to, fuck you as a matter of economic principle. (Suggest voting, and being a little more careful about where you put your money.)

Discuss, or ignore. Let's try to keep the discussion to items 1-6, as opposed to screaming about how I am a stupid dick or whatever, ad nauseum.

I think the misunderstanding here is that to me, examining one's own involvement and responsibility in the disaster comes before blaming others. I have not once heard anyone say, "shit, I fucked up a little too, because I should have known better." That could mean investing differently in the past, or being more politically active.

If nobody thinks that their actions in the past could have had any bearing on this crisis whatsoever, then we are truly fucked, because that means that there is nothing to learn, and nothing the common person can possibly do about it in the future. I hope you can agree that this is a ridiculous notion, but one that depends on the failure to take any personal responsibility for the state of this country.

Every investment has a probability of failure. Governments default on bonds too.
Well at least we are beginning to agree on something. What I suggested was "relatively low-risk" investments. I gave Fed bonds as an example, but you're free to choose whatever investment you think is best for your money. Just don't cry to me about it if it doesn't work out if you're not going accept that you made a choice (assuming that you had one).

Justin, since you admit you don't know the first thing about 401ks, why do you persist in trying to lord over people who actually DO have them?
I already said I didn't know what risk options are provided in most 401Ks, but if you had an one that forced you to buy only stocks, then nothing I am saying has anything to do with you. Clear?

True or False: retirees who had the option to invest in bonds, and did, are suffering far less losses right now than those who didn't?

I think the misunderstanding here is that to me, examining one's own involvement and responsibility in the disaster comes before blaming others. I have not once heard anyone say, "shit, I fucked up a little too, because I should have known better." That could mean investing differently in the past, or being more politically active.

If nobody thinks that their actions in the past could have had any bearing on this crisis whatsoever, then we are truly fucked, because that means that there is nothing to learn, and nothing the common person can possibly do about it in the future. I hope you can agree that this is a ridiculous notion, but one that depends on the failure to take any personal responsibility for the state of this country.

Ironically, this is the ultimate form of avoiding responsibility and is quite appealing to those who actually have real power and bear real responsibility. "We're all guilty, no one is guilty". Hopefully, this kind of ahistorical, decontextualized, structure-less worldview is on its way out with Thatcher's exhortations that "there is no society, only individuals" which this crisis has shown for the horseshit that it is..

Edited by prole

"Prole," you miss the point. Some are definitely more guilty than others. I am talking about individuals realizing what (perhaps limited) amount of choice (power) they have, which goes hand in hand with accepting responsibility for one's choices.

But fine, "my friend," deny your ability to make choices, do nothing, and be victimized eternally by those whom you serve.