[TR] North Early Winter Spire - Flycatcher Route 9/27/2008

sambataro

Trip: North Early Winter Spire - Flycatcher Route

Date: 9/27/2008

Trip Report:

Howdy folks,

A couple weeks ago I climbed the Flycatcher Buttress on North Early Winter Spire's east face. Despite a cc.com thread about how horrendous this climb was, I convinced my partner Dan to join me on the adventure. And I've never seen an actual cc.com post and I certainly don't feel like I'm giving away a hidden gem.

I wouldn't have made the drive for one day of climbing (sister's wedding was on sunday--couldn't miss that), but it was the last route for me to complete all 5 east face routes of the Liberty Group in 2008 and the weather was looking good. It started with Lexington, then Thin Red Line, a weekend of Minuteman and DEB of SEWS, and I wanted to squeeze NEWS in before the major snow came. I won't go as far as giving a personal ranking but my summary is below.

Flycatcher Buttress crux pitch:

IMGP0807.JPG

Topo of East Faces

(Photo from May 4, 2008 ski touring trip to Kangaroo Ridge, opening weekend of Hwy 20--no or little snow during later ascents)

LibertyGrouplEastFaceRoutes+copy.jpg

Photo Galleries

East Face of Lexington, May 31:

The key to offwidths and chimneys: keep moving. Even if just an inch. And if a 2x4 piece of wood presents itself as pro--clip it. Friable rock leads to a good series of corner cracks, traverses under roofs, offwidths and chimneys. Snow on the top kept our attention. Put it on your tick list--its a MUST. 9 pitches, 5.9

Thin Red Line of Liberty Bell, June 11

Brass offset nuts: get a pair and leave the hammer at home. 7 pitches of aid make it a big wall climb. It comes complete with hauling and an overnight bivy. A direct line, thin granite cracks, and a perfect warm-up for the Valley. 12 pitches 5.9 C3

East Face of Minuteman, August 9

Dont let the first 4 pitches get you down--the top two rock. A fun hand crack leads to an exposed 5.8 roof. From the top of Minuteman, you'll see why the East Face of Concord is unclimbed, and will (I dare to say it) remain unclimbed.

6 pitches, 5.10a

Direct East Buttress of SEWS, August 10

Here's the classic, most-climbed east face route. Leave the aid gear behind and if it doesn't go free, do it french style. And if the snow blows in and your partner starts rapping down, wait for the sucker hole to convince your partner to climb back up. The 10+ arete felt as hard as the 11a bolt ladder, but hey, some of us forget how to sport climb.

9 pitches, 5.9 A0

Flycatcher Buttress of NEWS, September 27

Never heard of it? My friend Ryan informed me the original ascentionists found a dead bird on route. Its not in the Selected Climbs or the Becky Guide, but I hear its in North Cascades Rock. Sometimes you have to revert to hand drawn topos transmitted via a facsimile for a good adventure. A tricky 5.9 entry pitch leads to a 50 meter low fifth class traverse under an overhanging wall, behind bushes, and between loose blocks. The flycatcher pitch is a hoot, but I'll be honest here, if you're looking for good rock and stellar pitch after pitch, stick with the west face of NEWS or the NW corner. Even the last bit proved to be another wild and spicy east face pitch. Topping out the 45th pitch of the series, luck doesn't even describe it: another great weather window, climbing partner, and expansive view east over the hairpin, Kangaroo Ridge, Wine Spires, and Mazama. 9 pitches, 5.10b

Gear Notes:

Double rack to 2", singles to 4", single rope OK with standard rappel and descent back to Blue Lake trailhead.

Approach Notes:

Approach as for DEB of SEWS from the hairpin. The start of the climb is 50 ft down from the end of the gully between SEWS and NEWS.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic