does glucosamine work?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LB-

My dad is 67 years old and works as a b/c ranger at Rainier. About 20 years ago he had two arthroscopy's on his knee (the first one was done wrong) and he was told he has basically zero cartilage left between his femur and tibia. bone on bone. During the 80's we did a lot of backpacking trips together and he could manage but his knee always got sore and swelled up.

So about five years ago he retired from business and got the Rainier job-and started taking Glucosamine and Chondroitan. Last summer he hiked about 600 miles. He climbed Rainier at age 61, 63 and 65. All this time he has had no problems whatsoever with his knees. He works out seven days a week. Yeah I'm spraying for him...but the point is that he swears that this stuff is the SHIT. It must work, because his knees were trashed in 1981 and they work fine now. Not sure what brand he uses, I'll have to ask him.

There have been several studies that suggested a benefit from glucosamine but have serious flaws in their outcomes measurments and manufacture affiliations with investigators. There have been however 2 well done studies that show symptomatic relief with glucosamine, one with the drug administered orally and one intra-articularly. Large trials are pending but there seems to be enough data to suggest a benefit and low risk of side effects to make it worth a try, while the jury is out.

No study has shown benefit from glucosaminoglycan injections. There has been marginal data to show benefit from chondroitin sulfate, with larger trials pending.

The best advise is to lose weight and undergo physical therapy, both of which have been shown to have significant benefits.

I have taken 500mg/day for the past two years as prophylaxis. I have never experienced joint pain but consider the glucosamine as preventive medicine. Evidence is anecdotal but strong for its benefit. I have hiked with two rheumatologists who believe it is beneficial for osteoarthritic changes.

I've managed a natural remedy store for three years, and have heard tons of good reports about how kickass glucosamine, chondroiton, and MSM are for people with joint issues. A few things to keep in mind: You get what you pay for, check with the staff to get reputable brands. Some forms are more absorbable, so again check with the staff. There's a lot of crap out there that doesn't work, and a few good ones that do. Good luck!

My climbing partner and I both hav been taking it for several years and seem to be holding off the effects of walking down hill-sore knees. I used to have knee problems and stopped running and had severe problems after each big climb. Glucos./Chond. and MSM have made the difference, I run again and have no knee soreness after a climb... This advice is worth what you paid for it...

6 or 7 years ago I had given up most of my outdoor activities because of knee pain.

I had a dog crippled with arthrities, my Vet treated her with glucosamine and the results were amazing.

I started taking it myself.It worked. I’m 57 years old , climb, ski, hike, bike, and can even run again.

I still have a little knee pain if I push it to hard but nothing near what it used to be.

Give it a try.

I've been taking 1500mg of Glucosamine with Chondroitin a day for about 4 years. I've had artroscopic surgery for torn meniscus on each knee, 1 10 years ago, the other 4 years ago. I started taking it shortly after the second surgery. My results have been good. I believe my joints overall are in better condition now than they wer 4 years ago. My MD even believes that there are benefit from it.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Most of what I've heard about it (outside of this site) is either positive or neutral. Doctors seem quite non-commital - I interpret their responses about it as not much more than a shrug. Just wondering if any other climber/hiker/skier/snowshoer/etc. types out there have had luck with it. Thanks again.

I am a pharmacist and I looked into glucosamine a bit. while there is not yet much good research, the case report info shows that while many people will benefit, not everybody will. glucosamine (and chondroitin) are building blocks for cartilage formation, and are most likely to be of benefit if the cause of the problem is wearing down of cartilage. abnormal wear patterns on cartilage due to muscle imbalance or torn or stretched ligaments are best corrected by fixing that problem.

glucosamine is most likely of benefit if the wear is mild or moderate,(there is still some existing cartilage to build on). If the cartilage is almost all gone it's unlikely to help.

I know 3 contact lense wearers who had to stop taking glucosamine because it made their eyes uncomfortable.

"If 1 feels good, take 3 more" . just kidding [big Drink]

The two work in conjunction to give you better results than just glucosamine alone, from what I understand- BTW, the vitamin packets known as "Emer'gen'C" just came out a glucosamine-chronadotin vita C vitamin packs. 17 bucks for 36 packages. Goes great in a nalagene to cut the taste of Iodine.

One thing to keep in mind is that supplments are not regulated as drugs, the fda doesn't test them, and in fact manufacturers are forbidden from claiming any theraputic benefits. There are regular news reports of various supplement manufacturers including unlisted ingredients, varying dosages, impurities, and other reports that make me, anyhow, worry about what's in these things.

According to the US Olympic Committee, the one independant lab that does testing for dietary supplements is consumerlab.com.

Here's their report on Glucosamine:http://consumerlab.com/results/gluco.asp

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic. In my experience with a wide range of clients of various ages, G/C seems to work best if you still have cartilage left. Those clients who have had the cartilage completely removed usually don't experience any improvement -- just arthritic symptoms (in which case, pain reliever works better).

However, those who have cartilage remaining and take it, swear by it. I've experimented with it myself to see if there are any noticeable side effects and couldn't detect any.

It's certainly worth trying; but as mneagle points out, losing weight (so there's less of you pounding on the joints) and properly conditioning before hitting the trails (including appropriate stretching, strengthening, and cardio training) can do quite a bit to help lessen pain and impact around the joints. A sound diet can also be immensely helpful. But if you're already doing all of the above and STILL have pain, it may be worth trying.

My mom had a weird knee injury (not from sudden trauma but rather from extended squatting while working in the garden). It left her nearly unable to walk for months as she went through several doctors who had no idea what the hell it was and recommended surgery. She recovered on her own through stretching, exercise, and glucosamine. She's in her fifties now and her knee feels better than ever. I'm not sure if she still uses the gluc, but she still stretches and exercises regularly and did Granite Mountain in 3 hours last summer. This summer she wants to explore the Enchantments.