Bowflex

OK, time for a new topic at the top of the list. I used to be a musclehead, haven't lifted for several years, didn't want to spend the $$$ on gym membership or take the time to workout. My roommate just got a Bowflex, I figure what the hell, I can use it for free and it's better than nothing. It's a little cheesy but it's actually better than I thought it would be. Although I hate all of the leg exercises, I won't even use them. Anybody else use this or similar home gym type set-ups? Courtenay, got an opinion on this one?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had one for several years and can tell you the pro's and con's

pro's

great for developing focus and concentrationthe resistance excercise is better than nothing, when hunting season comes around you are dialed in

con's

it only works one arm and your upper backyou have to buy new arrows once in a whileit can freak out your neigbors if you use their garage as a backstop.

I am not really sure what W's post is referring to, but you should only oil up if you are by yourself.

quote:

Originally posted by Bronco:

I am not really sure what W's post is referring to, but you should only oil up if you are by yourself.

That's because of the horror that would be inflicted from seeing Chuck Norris and Christy Brinkley oiled up. Norris, anyway.

Ah I can see the humorous ones are out in full force again...

In all seriousness, here are MY "pro's and con's" as originally intended (I think) by the question.

PRO's: yes, agreed, they are better than nothing. It takes little space, so for a home gym that may be a good option.Options available for full body exercises (uh, that means you can work whatever body parts or muscle groups you'd like.)Great equipment on board a ship, as no weights will be rolling around in a storm. I'm serious with this one, I was out at sea for 3 weeks and you could still work out even with rough waters!Reasonably priced, though for climbers, I'd say get a good bench, some adjustable dumbbells (or several pairs at the appropriate weights) and a pullup bar.

Con's: the tension is very little at the top, very great at the bottom -- compare that with a pullup using your body weight as one resistance (same weight, top and bottom) and you'll see what a drawback that can be. Takes some getting use to in order to adjust for various exercises.

You could do worse, but you could do a lot better. Hope that helps.

Courtenay,

Agreed, except I couldn't do much better for $0. My roomie bought it, nothing out of my pocket. A few years ago I worked out at a gym right next to where I used to work on my lunch breaks. In addition to not wanting to fork over the $$$, there's nowhere nearby where I work now for the lunch hour thing, and there's no way in hell I'm getting up BEFORE work to workout, and I won't fight the approx. 5:00 to 7:00 after work crowd, and after dinner I'm generally lazy. So that leaves no good time to workout at a gym.

I haven't tried oiling up yet Bronco. So you think maybe the guy in the commercial didn't get a physique like that from using the Bowflex? [Wazzup]

Well then, you've answered your own question. The best piece of equipment (or best gym) is ... THE ONE YOU'LL USE CONSISTENTLY. You can do a heck of a lot just using your own body weight as resistance (squats, lunges, pullups, dips, pushups) but even in these examples, you'd have to get a good chinning bar. If you have it, and you'll use it, go for it.

quote:

Originally posted by nolanr:
Courtenay,

Agreed, except I couldn't do much better for $0. My roomie bought it, nothing out of my pocket. A few years ago I worked out at a gym right next to where I used to work on my lunch breaks. In addition to not wanting to fork over the $$$, there's nowhere nearby where I work now for the lunch hour thing, and there's no way in hell I'm getting up BEFORE work to workout, and I won't fight the approx. 5:00 to 7:00 after work crowd, and after dinner I'm generally lazy. So that leaves no good time to workout at a gym.

I haven't tried oiling up yet Bronco. So you think maybe the guy in the commercial didn't get a physique like that from using the Bowflex?
[Wazzup]

Yer missin' out, dude. I feel like I'm revealing a deep secret by saying that you should join the 5:00 to 7:00 BEFORE work crowd - or lack thereof. Best time to go.

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: lizard brain ]

quote:

Originally posted by lizard brain:

Yer missin' out, dude. I feel like I'm revealing a deep secret by saying that you should join the 5:00 to 7:00 BEFORE work crowd - or lack thereof. Best time to go.

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: lizard brain ]

A better time is 9:00AM to 11:00AM when you work out with the dissatisfied housewife set. They usually stick to the conveyor-belt machines and stationary cycles, so the weights are free.

• 2 weeks later...

Another secret about times: I've found over the years that gyms usually have more people on Mondays and Wednesdays, fewer Tuesdays/Thursdays, and generally even fewer on Fridays. IN GENERAL. On the other hand, for climbing gyms, it seems quite different -- I know Seattle VW tends to have the most people Tuesday and Thursday evenings, probably so that those going out on weekends can get adequate rest for elbows and fingers and still get in enough climbing during the week.

quote:

Originally posted by Aquaman:
I'll tell you what works: swim 6000 m a day in cold water. It works for me.No matter how hard you train, you won't be able to hold your breath as long as me, however. Keep trying, suckers.Bowflex is for losers who wear spandex like the Riddler!
[hell no]

A boyfriend of my sister was going to do the West Butt of Denali a few years back with one of the senior partners of his law firm. Not long before the trip the senior partner asked him how the training for the trip was going. Jeff mentioned that he had been doing a lot of swimming recently. The senior partner responds, "Jeff, you're not going to be swimming up Denali. Get out there and start humping loads."

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: Courtenay ]

I hate to say this (as a former hardcore lifting free-weight purist), but the dang thing seems to be working quite well. I still think it's a little cheesy and cheap in it's design, but after 3 or 4 weeks of using it I can see a difference in my physique. I don't know if it's kind of an optical allusion. Maybe it's just sort of a residual from getting "the pump" going in the muscles. Or muscle memory or whatever. But I swear I already look bigger than when I started. But I'm not quite ready for the Mr. O contest. I just watched some of that last week, those dudes are SERIOUSLY FREAKY looking. Probably none of them over 6', weighing like 260 lbs. on stage at approx 5% body fat. FREAKS!