Rack Stolen Out Truck at Index Parking Lot

Raindawg

Thanks.... Rob.

I don't really understand why a climbers would steal a rack...

Because now there's so many "climbers" now that there is little accountability.

Cams, etc. are expensive so the cheap punks found a gold mine.

It would be bad Karma to climb on stolen Sh*t and to sell it maybe you can get some cash out of it.

Only if you believe in Karma.

So It could be meth head or something I don't know. Just bummed.

Or an opportunistic "climber".

And tape doesn't thwart anyone. That's for sorting gear with your buddies. Punk-thief will just pull it off or replace it with his own colors.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.... Rob.

I don't really understand why a climbers would steal a rack...

Because now there's so many "climbers" now that there is little accountability.

Cams, etc. are expensive so the cheap punks found a gold mine.

Hey old fart your bifocals must be rose-tinted. Even back as far as the early 70's there are plenty of climbers on record as complaining about ripoffs and gear thefts. Sounds like more that NOTHING HAS CHANGED IN 30 YEARS.

Hey old fart your bifocals must be rose-tinted. Even back as far as the early 70's there are plenty of climbers on record as complaining about ripoffs and gear thefts. Sounds like more that NOTHING HAS CHANGED IN 30 YEARS.

Hey Simple-Jack!

Were you around and climbing back then?

If you weren't, then you probably don't know what you're talking about.

If you were, then I guess you're an "old fart" too.

Nothing has changed in 30 years???????

As I noted before, there are tons more people today calling themselves "climbers".

Thirty years ago you'd go out to the crags and if you didn't know most of the people, you probably knew of them, at least in the Northwest, thus it was very hard to pull off bad stunts like thievery. NOT SO ANYMORE.

Thirty years ago, you didn't have racks of gear with numerous cams costing $35+ each.

I'd guess there a good possibility that the current Index gear thief is some other kind of low-life, but I'd never rule out the possibility that it's someone who wants the gear to use it, i.e., a "climber".

Sit down, Simple Jack.

[img:center]http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/images/simplejack.jpg[/img]

Its an unfortunate situation that is not made better by us poking each other in the eye over speculation as to who did it.

It sucks to have your mind on the security of your stuff when you're out climbing. If you can, leave extra stuff at home.

And if you see some one sketchy in the Index parking lot, you might just want to have a short conversation with them (though I suppose this might have its own risks). I think that is why retail stores generally come and say hello when you walk in the door...it lets a potential shoplifter know that there are eyes on them so they better not steal.

Keep your eye out for those Craigslist yardsales with gear as marked above!

Raindawg - are you calling Steve Sutton and Jim Sinclair liars?

Absolutely not. I'm saying YOU were probably not there and suggested that YOU probably don't know what you're talking when you're calling people "old farts" and spouting off about "30 years ago".

I stand by my comments: there are vastly more "climbers" today and the incentive to steal the expensive modern technology is higher.

Unlike you, they still even climb hard.

You have no idea what I climb or don't climb, little man, so crawl back into your cubicle and dream of your own accomplishments.

So It could be meth head or something I don't know. Just bummed.

Or an opportunistic "climber".

And tape doesn't thwart anyone. That's for sorting gear with your buddies. Punk-thief will just pull it off or replace it with his own colors.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. It was probably meth heads, not climbers. My Having found a duffel bag of gear at a meth head garage sale WITH THE OWNER'S LUGGAGE TAG STILL ON IT, I can personally attest that these losers are not very careful about fencing this kind of stuff.

It's worth talking to local law enforcement about it. They may know which swap meets, etc, to monitor for the stuff.

Tape or some other marking is the only way you're going to ID your stuff if found, so its well worth it.

Also for the record, my experience with today's younger climbers has been nothing but positive; they seem to practice the same respect for others' gear that previous generations did, even to the point of going out of their way far more than we ever did at that age to make sure found gear gets returned. I haven't noticed that an increase in numbers has effected this negatively at all.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Hey Simple-Jack!

Were you around and climbing back then?

If you weren't, then you probably don't know what you're talking about.

If you were, then I guess you're an "old fart" too.

Nothing has changed in 30 years???????

As I noted before, there are tons more people today calling themselves "climbers".

Thirty years ago you'd go out to the crags and if you didn't know most of the people, you probably knew of them, at least in the Northwest, thus it was very hard to pull off bad stunts like thievery. NOT SO ANYMORE.

Thirty years ago, you didn't have racks of gear with numerous cams costing $35+ each.

I'd guess there a good possibility that the current Index gear thief is some other kind of low-life, but I'd never rule out the possibility that it's someone who wants the gear to use it, i.e., a "climber".

Sit down, Simple Jack.

[img:center]http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/images/simplejack.jpg[/img]

That was so M-M-M-M-MEAN!

They are certainly better than nothing Marc! I don't think it is the best design though.

As I said, those made up my first rack, and I sold them as soon as I could afford to "upgrade".

agreed, I will do the same eventually. Ill probably give mine away to some poor high school student like me....

6 now as Alpine fox posted some craigslist stuff that appears stolen on a lower thread in Lost and Found.

Link

Did you lose an Ice hatchet and repel gear with the Rock Gear? Cause it's going cheap in So Seattle.

starts out "i have some ice and rock climbing gear."......

hey rainybaby, i still got that $100...you on?? :rolleyes:

Am I on? Not with you, junior. I suspect that you need that $100 far more than I do.

Do you have anything to contribute on the topic of climbing-gear theft?

- I didn't think so. You may sit down now.

Rainybaby, i'd gladly lose a $100 to watch you get your ass handed to you...f-ing shittalker...

I think of that one RE cam that failed, a lot more RE cams held. Ive fallen on that exact same size/make of cam a few times. Im pretty sure metolius and BD cams have failed once or twice in the past too.

I've heard of Metolius cams failing, Aliens cams failing, but I've never heard of BD cams failing. Maybe its happened though.

I think of that one RE cam that failed, a lot more RE cams held. Ive fallen on that exact same size/make of cam a few times. Im pretty sure metolius and BD cams have failed once or twice in the past too.

I've heard of Metolius cams failing, Aliens cams failing, but I've never heard of BD cams failing. Maybe its happened though.

I've heard of the old dual-stem Camalots failing but never ever heard of Wild Country Friends failing...