[TR] Stonerabbit Peak -- 10/2/2008

Trip: - Stonerabbit Peak

Date: 10/2/2008

Trip Report:

So after making some super-last minute plans Spectrum, B.C Road Trip, my BF marc_leclerc and I met at 7:00 at the Sasquatch Inn. The road up to Skwellepil creek was long and boring and seemed to take forever but we eventually ended up at the spot where Dru and Cp parked about 3-4 Km from the end of the road. We managed to get a bit further with some extreme 4 wheeling in Al's pickup but this was useless as we spent an hour getting his truck up what we could have walked in 5 minutes.

The road walk was fast and easy and we walked right to where the road crosses the big drainage for the second time. The drainage was an enjoyable scramble with only one or two 'bushy' moves. This was my very first scrambling trip and I was having a blast scramlbing up the slabs.

We waited for Al and Dean to catch up at the base of the face (it rhymes!) We started up the route 2 hours after leaving the car.

We had seen some dorks (Dru and Co) up on the face and figured their route loked good. The bottom section was phenomenal, grippy slab that went on forever. We pulled some overlaps and friction climbed the fun slabs until the wall really steepened, at this point we traversed left towards the broad south ridge and climbed (another couple bush moves) to the hanging talus feild high on the face.our light light scrambling rope we had stayed in the pack the whole time, all the climbing was 4th class or very easy 5th (basically the same thing ;) ).

Instead of heading left at this point like Dru we headed more or less straight up. This involved some steep climbing with plenty of face holds, corners and even a sweet bear hug pillar. Again the rope stayed in the pack and we moved very quickly. We topped out about 100 ft east of the summit. After lounging at the peak, taking pictures and playing on the cool 'diving board' over the north face, we headed down the easy west ridge.

The descent was all class 2 and we took a bit over an hour to reach the top of the drainage. Another two hours and we were at the cars again.

We took 4.5 hours car to summit and 3 hours down to the cars. The whole route was 4th class with bouldery low 5th moves in the middle and upper sections. This is a very high quality scramble with great rock and good exposure. We all had a great time, I sure got to climb a 'plum' of a route for my first time in the mountains. Thanks Al and Dean for driving us around and sharing a great climb!

Gear Notes:

none of us felt the need for climbing shoes, 10m rope stayed in the pack.

Approach Notes:

Climb big drainage from end of Skillepil Cr rd

Edited by TamaraSlade

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Nice :brew: That's rootbeer in that mug for you, by the way ;)

That's quite the TR for a first time in the mountains! Excellent lingo - you seem like a natural guidebook author at some point down the line... either that Marc spends too much time talking climbing like all good growing dirtbags, or you're really Dru!