Rack Stolen Out Truck at Index Parking Lot

Skisports

My freind and I were climbing Davis Holland today when I came back to find the tailgate of my Truck busted into and a double to Tripple Rack Stolen From Blue Aliens to #3s a couple of coats too. All the Gear was marked with Green and Blue Tape and my freind had some of his stuff Marked with just Black Tape. If any one see anyone climbing with this gear or trying to sell if could you contact me either PM me. David@alpinephotograph.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.... Rob.

I don't really understand why a climbers would steal a rack... It would be bad Karma to climb on stolen Shit and to sell it maybe you can get some cash out of it . So It could be meth head or something I don't know. Just bummed.

Crap, that SUCKS. Next thing you know packs will start disappearing from the bases there, like what just happened to Wakaranai at Cumberland this weekend. Nothing's sacred anymore.

Thanks for letting us know what to look out for. If they try and sell it on here, they'll be sorry. :noway:

Edited by Sherri

I didn't notice any broken glass or anything unusual when I arrived at 1:00. It must have been between 1:00 and 5:30? There are alot of d-bags who make the rounds through that lot everyday. Hope it all turns up, I'll keep an eye open around Index for your stuff.

I don't really understand why a climbers would steal a rack..

With apologizes to my friend Dawg, it most probably wasn't climbers of any generation. The area has a bunch of dirtbag meth heads living in the weeds. They know that a rack is worth about a grand, and Craigslist and E-Bay make fencing hot shit a DIY project. Too many other possibilities to point fingers at other climbers.

I seriously doubt it's other climbers. As far as cheap camping goes Index is sort of like a little Yosemite, which has a similar gear theft problem. The camping spots on the bank along the river there are host to all kinds of people. Gear has even been stolen at the base of the lower wall.

The only places you ever hear of stolen gear are in close proximity to the general public.

I got broken into at the Alpental ski area lower lot, lost about $1,000 worth of climbing gear. Ever since then my vehicles have all had alarms, that and never leave valuables in sight. That deters 99% of the pukes. Knock on wood, nothing stolen since.

David: we all feel your pain....any chance you can post some photos so we can keep an eye out for your stuff? I posted pics of my rack on RC.com mostly so that if this happened I could try and collect some insurance, but secondary is so that I could have some pics handy to post so people could see my stuff and maybe spy it on Craigslist.

I once had 2 tool boxes stuff chock full of tools (and the value was shockingly much more than I was thinking off the top of my head once I'd written it all down) stolen from the back of my locked pickup truck that were replaced with a me paying the $500 deductible. Have you checked with your insurance folks?

We left the parking lot around 4:30 or so yesterday, and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary at that time. Plus, there was at least one other climber in the lot when we drove off (female).

Everytime I'm on the way back to my car, I kind of expect to see my window busted out. It seems to happen to everyone - it's just a matter of time.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about this! Howeowners or Renters insurance should help ease "some" of the pain. Make note that when filing your claim, they'll ask you how old all of your gear is because they say that all sporting goods depreciate in value over time. Hence, the newer you tell them your gear is, the closer you will get to recouperating the actual replacement cost. Having been through this fiasco once, I'd also tell them I lost more than I actually did to try and get them to pay up closer to the actual replacement cost of the gear. It really sucked when I got my check, minus the depreciation, minus the deductable, and could only replace 50% of what was stolen.

One thing I always do these days after having had this happen is coordinate all of the rack details with any partner well in advance. Now, I never end up leaving more than a handful of cams, biners, and shoes in the car, or at the base at any given time.

I sleep better at night thinking that meth heads and non-climbers are the only kind of people that would do something like this. But that's probably not always the case.