Cam Doubles

Braydon

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finger cracks are really my thing.

so that's X2-3 pieces in the .75 inches and less range - assumign you'll be climbing harder and harder (read longer and longer) crap, you'll need more gear - especially if you just give in and go over to the dark-side of aiding :)

having at least 2 of the following makes it such that you can usually make a fine rack when climbing w/ someone else who has some shit:

blue, green, yellow, red aliens (.5, .4, .3 and .2 inch pieces - i like having 2 of each alien, than having 1 each of the same size tcus)

fun, hard routes invariably lead to wider cracks though, so eventually having 2 in the .5 to 3" range will be necessary

I have a single set of cams to a #3 camalot and am looking at buying a couple of doubles. I can really only get three though. What do you guys generally enjoy having doubles of the most?

What Rudy says is true, but you don't say if you have either say: doubled wired nuts or Metolius Mastercams from blue or Green through Orange or Aliens Green through Red. The small sizes of itty bitty cams can be real helpful if you have wired stoppers already and no small cams.

Furthermore, the passive nutlike Trango/Lowe tricams can either suck real bad or be real awesome DEPENDING on where you like to climb. Asking around at your climbing spot may be the best advice I can give you.

You're doomed whatever size you buy! The very next time you go out you'll need the size you didn't buy! You may epic hard, but you'll become a better climber for it. Just ask Bill, he was once young and poor and he rose up a great climber (even if now he has quadruples of every piece of gear known).

You're doomed whatever size you buy! The very next time you go out you'll need the size you didn't buy! You may epic hard, but you'll become a better climber for it. Just ask Bill, he was once young and poor and he rose up a great climber (even if now he has quadruples of every piece of gear known).
Same holds true for racking up... It's always the one piece I leave behind that I really wished I'd put on the rack...

I'm sure you can find tricam placements in Index, but probably not the best place to use them. I guess on the old aid lines being freed nowadays there are plenty of pinscars to fiddle in a tricam, and of course tricams can take the place of regular cams, but with a lot more time and proficiency involved.

Index is nice with a few nuts, a healthy selection of cams, and quickdraws.

I tend to favor tricams in the alpine. Mostly for the weight savings, but also it is cheaper to leave a tricam behind than that precious #1 C4 cam.

Cheers.

Jimbo

Ha ! You're very kind. But it does bring up an idea, Brayden, you might go find a gear whore for a partner:-) Then you can save your money for important things like beer, condoms, Hostess Cupcakes and pot and use their quadruples of everything and all their stuff.

I started with Camalots #.5->3. I then got TCUs #1->3. I wanted to double up on hand sizes so I got DMMs #2, 2.5 and 3. They span the .75 to 2 Camalot range. C4's hadn't come out yet and they were the lightest and cheapest flexible cam at the time. They're OK but I would prefer C4's.

Tricams are good if the climb isn't sustained. You place them at the good rests and save the cams for plug and go situations. They are a good alpine rack piece IMO. There are definitely places in Squamish where tricams work better than anything else. The key to getting them out is to give them a twist.

At Index I'd say get some RP's or the new version of the small HBs.

Try to stay with one brand if you can. The exception is when you make a clean break in sizes. (eg I like Metolius for small (1.5 and below) and Wild Country cams for larger.)

For Index I'd double up an the .5" to 2.5" sizes. Probably starting at the 2" and then 3/4" then 1" then 1.5" then 2.5" or .5" Once all my gear was stolen and afterwards I climbed a fair bit at Index without ever buying a 4" cam - I did have one 3.5" and one 3". If I needed more bigger gear my friends had stuff. We never had too many RPs tho. Brass nuts are definately a consumable. In general as you start moving up the grades at Index you'll be relying more and more on smaller gear.

Tri-cams = waste of time esp if you are pushing yourself.

Agree about the RP's, but I think just a couple would be fine to start. I used to use smaller tricams a lot, and still bring them to the mountains, but as you begin to climb harder stuff with fewer rests you will place them less and less. If money is a big issue and you are looking to get into alpine climbing I'd say get a couple. For cams start with doubles in whatever crack size you find really hard and can not protect well with nuts. For me that is .75 camalot size. Look for sales and used stuff.

For Index you may want to double up in the larger gear before the small cams, but for most of the routes I do at places like Leavenworth, Darrington and Erie it is more common that I want doubles in the smaller ranges (I still like my old aliens), and one-each in camelots 1-3.

Braydon,

I was in a similar situation last spring. I had blue alien to red alien and 1-3.5 camalots. Backcounty was having a sale and I got yellow orange and red TCU's and #1 and #2 camalot. All that with a set of nuts and I've had more than enough for cragging and alpine climbing.

since you have a full set of nuts already, i'd agree with the people who are recommending that you get a 0.75, 1, and 2 for your doubles. and don't bother with the tri-cams for now.

but also, be sure to shop around, and you might find that you get get more than 3 cams after all. you can always find online sales or coupons to get stuff at 20% off or more