Trashed

larrythellama

Was passing through Central Oregon and bivied at Skull Hollow (aka the grasslands) what a shit pile it has turned into. Trash, toilet paper, batteries cans all over the place, there is hardly any grass to speak of. I always thought the large NOLS/ OB groups would make a significant impact and they sure have. It was a true disappointment to see this, so much for climbers respecting nature.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THe trash you see is from independant idiots. I have been with several mazama groups out there and we always take great care to leave no trash.

It is not just climbers that use that place by the way. ATVr's, Horse back riders and the scary traveling randoms.

It is a free public camp ground. It is skull hollow what did you expect?? Sad to say but people as a general don't take care of things that are free. Take and Take is the rule.

So did you pick up any trash while you are out there?

That place is a mobile home park during the summer now. sites get trashed after shit heads live there for a month at a time. My local climbing club is going out there this weekend, I'll try to organize a little cleanup. tis a real shame after a large scale clean up happened there just a fe months ago at the smith cleanup/trail day

oregon mountain club (used to be OSU mountain club) cleaned up about ten 15 gal bags of trash from the campground over the weekend. There is still a lot to go. Apparently it is ok to tie up your trash into plastic walmart bags and chuck it into the sagebrush. Out of sight, out of mind, eh! And without exception, that style of littering was in Walmart bags. I mean, no implication right? I see OB and NOLS shopping there all the time for expeditions...