The Debate

prole

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Palin's three days of intensive coaching showed. She didn't fumble her sentences. BUT

She didn't answer half the questions.

She stuck to, even returned to (at awkward times, after the topic had changed) what were obviously campaign slogan sound bites. Very canned. It was like watching a beauty contestant. I was crinching.

She was, at times, too sarcastic. Biden ignored her remarks, and her, and just ripped into McCain, a HUGE target, in response. It was a thing of beauty.

Biden was 100% genuine. Why act? He's got a record of substance behind him.

OH, and Biden's response to her final "I'm just a regular mom" speech. Losing his wife and kid in an accident. FUCK ME. Palin pushed that line against the wrong guy. She might as well have given Biden an on the spot blow job, because, metaphorically speaking, that's pretty much what happened. The strategist that came up with that statement should be killed.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Palin's three days of intensive coaching showed. She didn't fumble her sentences. BUT

She didn't answer half the questions.

She stuck to, even returned to (at awkward times, after the topic had changed) what were obviously campaign slogan sound bites. Very canned. It was like watching a beauty contestant. I was crinching.

She was, at times, too sarcastic. Biden ignored her remarks, and her, and just ripped into McCain, a HUGE target, in response. It was a thing of beauty.

Biden was 100% genuine. Why act? He's got a record of substance behind him.

OH, and Biden's response to her final "I'm just a regular mom" speech. Losing his wife and kid in an accident. FUCK ME. Palin pushed that line against the wrong guy. She might as well have given Biden an on the spot blow job, because, metaphorically speaking, that's pretty much what happened. The strategist that came up with that statement should be killed.

She walked right in to his trap,and Palins a hunter? What a set up!!!!

Edited by pc313

The Canadian debate was actually pretty good for a change. Interesting format this year...when did we switch to a "everybody gang up on the Prime Minister"? They even put all the party leaders on one side of the table and Harper on the other...except for Elizabeth May...lol, wtf...where they trying to say she wasn't as important...lmao.

Also, WTF was with the moderator...even HE was ganging up on the PM!! Isn't he supposed to be impartial. His low point was asking the question to the opposition parties if they thought the Conservatives were 'Barbarians' for making cuts to arts programs (yes he actually used the word 'Barbarians'.

Personally I thought the PM held his own, while the only guy that actually has a chance of replacing him put in a very poor performance. Jack Layton put in a solid debate and seems to be gaining momentum. I wonder if the NDP is going to pass the Liberals in BC. Interestingly, I just saw and NDP attack ad on TV...sign of how the BC campaign is going for the Liberals?

Overall, it seems that the campaign did a good job preparing Palin for this debate. Not that she had a lot in the way of substance, it was much the same as Friday night; campaign slogans an quoting meaningless statistics. She did however come off as pretty poised and held her own. She and Biden were very respectful of each other and neither seemed overly antagonistic. They seemed to out of their way to agree with eachother an awful lot; and obvious strategy to appeal to the middle.

When she rebuked Biden about looking to much to the past he could have easily gone off on how the Republican ideology got us into this mess and as the current standard bearers (as much as that standard is hidden in a trojan horse) that she and McCain do represent the status quo.

Overall, I don't think either side expected to win; it sure looked like another draw to me.

Interesting - I had a different take. I thought Harper stayed poised but was short on substance. Dion I thought communicated better than I heard him throughout the campaign. May was stronger than I thought she would be. Layton has always been strong. The Barbarian thing was funny. Collectively I think that it favoured the Liberals. If the Conservatives get successfully painted as right-wing evangelicals then the "Natural Governing Party" is the only party left in the "center".

Right near the end Palin said something like "I'm done talking to the mainstream media just so they can interpret to you what you just saw". Very patronizing, like we're all third graders who need the media to tell us about her lack of depth on matters of policy and world affairs. That's been blatantly obvious except to the Limbaugh Lemmings who claim that fair questions in an unscripted setting are "picking on her".

In all, Biden wasn't perfect but he did what he should have by focusing on McCain. Palin usually took about half a sentence to swerve off topic and begin recycling one of the four or five rehearsed talking points in a differently ordered set of words and slogans, irregardless of the question. It was like watching a campaign commercial over and over.

Unfortunately, repetition of empty, hyperbolic slogans coupled with smarty-pants head shaking sarcasm peppered with slangy 'darned'/'you betcha' etc. and a smug "gosh you're stupid" expression is what passes for qualification and knowledge among the "Joe Six Pack" crowd that she aims to please, and which forms, along with the top 1%, the 'base' of today's GOP.