The Debate

prole

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get real. The further to the left or right you are stuck, the greater the perception that "your" guy won. Neither candidate took a significant blow in last nights debate. The post debate rhetoric seems to be largely ignoring the fact checking that gives a clearer picture on whos campaign has a better grasp on things.

Agreed. It's hard for the young to step back and be objective regarding how their candidate did, but those of us who've been down this road a few times recognize that debates are political street theatre, and that candidates are not at political liberty to discuss the issues as frankly as they would in a closed room full of people actually trying to solve them.

Each candidate appealed to his base, within the confines of his personality. McCain was the attack dog, teaching 'the kid' a lesson. McCain supporters, and you are a poster child for that type AKA (whether or not you actually are a McCain supporter); the 'let's kick some ass' crowd', lap that shit up, no matter what actual substance or lack thereof comes out of the candidate's mouth, and very little came out of McCain's. Unfortunately for America, we've had 8 years of 'let's roll' and we're on our backs now as a result. What may have been good for McCain for that particular debate against that particular very different kind of candidate will not be good for the country in the future; after all, it hasn't been for the past 8 years. More than anything, McCain's statements during the debate proves to me that there is little, if any difference, between Bush's methodology and his own.

Obama, on the other hand, is famous for being unflappable, and he remained cool during the debate. His personality reminds me of the absolutely coolest character I ever met; the commander of a nuclear attack submarine. Much of America, the land of Adult Children, doesn't really know how to relate to someone who actually has their shit together, unfortunately. Frankly, I prefer that kind 'Apollo 13' leadership and problem solving than an impulsive, angry, and irresponsible guy like McCain whose only foreign policy seems to be to threaten other countries with power we don't have. Obama refused to attack McCain in kind, so his performance naturally seemed defensive, but to me that's a testament to the kind of together person he is, not a sign of any weakness. Given the guy's history, he's anything but weak.

As a final point, it's pretty clear why the world wants Obama and overwhelmingly rejects McCain. The world wants to re-connect and re-establish friendships with America; we need each other now more than ever. Obama's presidency would make that so much easier and productive for our country. McCain's presidency would just further degrade our working relationships, which would cause us the same kind of harm that we've already reaped from 8 years of unilateral aggression.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Can anyone provide a link to where the debate can be read as text, not watched on video? I'm not having a whole lot of luck in my searches for it. The body language/crowd response is distracting, and I'd like to go over exactly what each candidate is saying for each point, and have time to think about it, without hitting rewind a bunch.

Thanks!

Thanks Kurt, I'll check it out. I'm a non-verbal processor, IQ in the top 5% but can hardly hold a conversation, so audio/video is tough for me to compute/retain. You think there'd be something out there for deaf people that I could read, but so far not finding anything!

Agreed. It's hard for the young to step back and be objective regarding how their candidate did, but those of us who've been down this road a few times recognize that debates are political street theatre, and that candidates are not at political liberty to discuss the issues as frankly as they would in a closed room full of people actually trying to solve them.

Each candidate appealed to his base, within the confines of his personality. McCain was the attack dog, teaching 'the kid' a lesson. McCain supporters, and you are a poster child for that type AKA (whether or not you actually are a McCain supporter); the 'let's kick some ass' crowd', lap that shit up, no matter what actual substance or lack thereof comes out of the candidate's mouth, and very little came out of McCain's. Unfortunately for America, we've had 8 years of 'let's roll' and we're on our backs now as a result. What may have been good for McCain for that particular debate against that particular very different kind of candidate will not be good for the country in the future; after all, it hasn't been for the past 8 years. More than anything, McCain's statements during the debate proves to me that there is little, if any difference, between Bush's methodology and his own.

Obama, on the other hand, is famous for being unflappable, and he remained cool during the debate. His personality reminds me of the absolutely coolest character I ever met; the commander of a nuclear attack submarine. Much of America, the land of Adult Children, doesn't really know how to relate to someone who actually has their shit together, unfortunately. Frankly, I prefer that kind 'Apollo 13' leadership and problem solving than an impulsive, angry, and irresponsible guy like McCain whose only foreign policy seems to be to threaten other countries with power we don't have. Obama refused to attack McCain in kind, so his performance naturally seemed defensive, but to me that's a testament to the kind of together person he is, not a sign of any weakness. Given the guy's history, he's anything but weak.

As a final point, it's pretty clear why the world wants Obama and overwhelmingly rejects McCain. The world wants to re-connect and re-establish friendships with America; we need each other now more than ever. Obama's presidency would make that so much easier and productive for our country. McCain's presidency would just further degrade our working relationships, which would cause us the same kind of harm that we've already reaped from 8 years of unilateral aggression.

the problem is that the adult children VOTE...

It's funny hearing criticism of Obama's mild umming and ahing, when just a few years ago roughly half of the voters fell in love with someone who had trouble pronouncing basic words and completing basic sentences. How far we've come since then!

Unfortunately, perhaps next time we will hear more charming little anecdotes from Obama too, instead of the speech patterns and body language exhibited by someone who is actually thinking on the spot. (The only time I could possibly care what McCain wears on his wrists is if he does something worthy of handcuffs...)

Oh, but the politics. Key to fixing federal budget: save 18 billion? Seriously? Isn't the federal budget over 3000 billion dollars now?

Didn't Bush II (a.k.a. Reagan Revolutions) increased federal spending by ~50% (1000 billion dollars) in the past eight years? Largely due to massive spending for an unnecessary war that was littered with scandalous contracts for private interests? Meanwhile the spending that McCain is most worried about adds up to 2 cents on the dollar? Are you kidding me?

3 million for studying the DNA of bears in Montana? OMG stop the f*cking presses! We could occupy Iraq for another 6 minutes with that money!