The Debate

prole

debate-floor2-tm.jpg

Primarily, I'm going to be watching McCain's body language and whether he can keep his aggressiveness in check. I want to see how much he tries to lean, or even move away from his podium toward Obama (from what I can tell, the two lecterns are pretty close together) to occupy more real estate on that stage in a territorial manner. I'll also be interested how, and how much, he physically orients himself toward the audience, especially after a cheap attack. (After hostile digs, he has a tendency to flash that self-satisfied, sadistic "gotcha" smile immediately afterward. I'm also keen to see if the audience reinforces him for it or actually -- given his erratic behavior this week -- or pulls back and leaves him in it. Lacking the reinforcement for the gutter game -- or if McCain's strategy is more simply to play the highroad (national crisis going on, all that) -- you might see a lot more of the "put-on, deadly serious statesman face" I highlighted yesterday in the Couric/make-up post.

I also want to see how animated Obama is. I think he has to literally "show more teeth," specifically through disarming humor and, on the offense, through biting (but, simultaneously funny) analogies.

From what I understand, the set is very rich in color, deep blue background (with that overwhelming eagle) with rather formal red carpet. I think the official feeling conveyed by the setting might serve to actually lend too much dignity and buffering for McCain's otherwise course manner.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO FUCKING WAY did Mcsame win. He is so out of his league. Mccain kept attacking Obama when obama simply told it how it is without attacking McCain. IMO Obama was way classier. Much better spoken them McCain. Obama hit it on the head when he spoke about how the world precieves the US. Also on Iraq.....this country has only been looking at Iraq he said.....not the bigger picture.....

Did anybody hear McCain admit we tortured? He paused right after it that indicates he knew that was a fuck up.

I also hate McCains body langage. His fucked up crooked arm....what is up with that?

McCain's debate strategy was one of condescension. "I've been friends with Henry Kissinger for 35 years and you haven't."

His foreign policy solutions seemed to consist of threaten, threaten, threaten...without acknowledging our current weakness. His world view assumes that we can just dictate to Russia, Iran, etc, despite the failure of that strategy over the past 8 years. As fantasy fueled as this view is considering how flat on our back we are today, Americans eat this Rambo shit up.

With a few sob stories about returning from a Vietnamese prison camp, etc, thrown in.

McCain played to the crowd, and did it well.

Obama actually debated the issues of the day, accurately targeting what America has done wrong over the past 8 years, but half of America is incapable above McCain's primal emotional level.

I predict McCain's numbers will go up slightly.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Blinking?

Old and fat?

Sweet baby jesus, even Kevbone is paying more attention to the "substantive issues" of the debate than you jokers.

Edit - that was a good point about the lack of an american flag lapel pin on McCain though. Unpatriotic fuck. He is obviously doomed.

Edited by Alpinfox

Can anyone else see that Obama basically bitch slaped McCain off the stage? Obama is sooooo much smarted that McCain it is silly. McCain never says anything if substance. He just spits out the standard bullshit answer that "he loves America".....

FW can you not see this?

Quit picking on FW. You know he has a different (and perhaps less powerful) set of magic filters than the ones you view through.

Tragically, it's doubtful either candidate left the other speechless.