Leavenworth snow

skibum1087

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did the west ridge last weekend. We were snowed upon for about the last two hours of the climb itself but it wasn't sticking to the rock. It warmed up into rain for almost the entire descent. There was some ground accumulation around the upper Cascadian but I suspect it all melted out pretty quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little update from this weekend:

n39203244_31726580_3757.jpg

A lot of the gullies and cracks and such were filled with ice and snow on the N side of Prusik Peak. So plan accordingly. We left another sling and biner to do one more rap so we didn't have to deal with more icy down climbing.

• 4 weeks later...

Report from the weekend:

There is some ice on dragontail and colchuck, though mostly up high and thin. The only line that really looks continuous is the one between TC and backbone. I heard some big ice/rock fall saturday after noon.

Around 6500-7K the snow gets annoying on aasgard pass. Once on top the snow is continuous, pretty deep to hard crust. It was windy as all hell satuday night and sunday morning.

Mt. Stuart was completely covered in white. Sherpa looked like fun.

Report from the weekend:

There is some ice on dragontail and colchuck, though mostly up high and thin. The only line that really looks continuous is the one between TC and backbone. I heard some big ice/rock fall saturday after noon.

Around 6500-7K the snow gets annoying on aasgard pass. Once on top the snow is continuous, pretty deep to hard crust. It was windy as all hell satuday night and sunday morning.

Did you get a look at the NE Couloir on Dragontail? It should be visible from Aasgard Pass.

Yeah I got a good look. Looked like thin sugary snow down low, with maybe some ice up top? But it was continuous. Weather was pretty warm this weekend, so melt cycle going on now. And start tuesday/wednesday temps are suppose to drop up there to below freezing during night and day so perhaps more will form.