endurance

DRB

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ginsing works quite well! i have been using it off and on for sometime. there is a noticable difference in performance. like anything excepet sex, it needs to used in moderation with periods of on and off. i would personally recommend triple ginsing by gnc, a little more pricy but the potency is good.

becareful and experiment slowly to make sure you don't have any adverse affects.

Carbs and protein, little fat. Skip the supplements and try as much as possible to get the energy you need from food sources. The one exception I'd make to that is at altitude -- some people can't stomach solid food -- then a drink product (Gatorade or Cytomax) or Gu (or other similar non-solids) can give you quick energy and packages are very light (good for running, alpine-style fast-and-light climbing, hiking etc.)

A drink mix I use is Endurox R4. Outside magazine had a good article on this in May. I have used this for long endurance training, it really is a recovery drink, but if you are going for a long time you can use it as you are working out. I have noticed a differance while working out. GNC has it.

TTT

Here's my two cents worth as a long-distance feller....

- bananers....the king of fruit

- lemon/lime gatorade diluted to 50%

I find it's really an individual thing and requires a bit of experimentation as the excellent contributors above suggest. I tried some of the drinkage above plus Metrex etc. and found that good old Gatorade works best for me while I know others who can't stand the stuff. GOO, I feel, should be experimented with in a tame environment, because in some people, it will give them a relatively short buzz (which can be harmful if overexploited) and then a real hard crash! And then you need another sugar boost, etc. And if you're sensitive to caffeine, beware of using it (the caffeinated varieties) on your evening workout, or whatever, cause it might get you so wired you can't get to sleep! I carry a squeezer of it in my Camelback on long runs, etc. but try not to use it except as a last resort. I tried some of the Endurox capsules. They're expensive and I didn't really notice a difference but maybe they'll work for others.

Mike Collins: When you do RAMROD, do you ever see the Croquet Guy running up the road to Paradise with the mallet and the race number that says CAMROD (Croquet Around Mt. Rainier in One Day) ? That's me, Dwayner. I do it every year. This year I'm aiming for Longmire to Paradise to Ohanapacosh. (Last year did Longmire to Paradise to the Park entrance). Anyway, just thought I'd add that bit of trivia since you mentioned RAMROD.

Train hard...climb strong!!!

- Dwayner

P.S. Specialed, m'younga bruduh! What wid the drugs???? Them mushrooms I suppose be good if you want to do a big wall without leaving your living room, or if your favorite sport is stumbling over furniture and french-kissing your neighbor's poodle! Sounds like you need a little of the 'ol Gatorade yourself, m´friend!

Dwayner -- you're the CAMROD guy? Hey, guys -- he's famous!!

I didn't believe it when someone told me about CAMROD (I skipped a couple of years) then I saw you out there in '99 on the climb up to Paradise-- and I still didn't believe it!

I've always wondered -- how many croquet balls do you go through?

Alpine Thomas:

Since you asked....

re: the number of croquet balls...

I have an ol' climbing pal from my Southern Calif. youth, come up from L.A. every July to be my "pit crew". Same guy, every year. He sets up the wicket and ball every two to three miles along the side of the road. I run with the mallet, and if I'm successful in hitting the ball through, I am rewarded with sports drink (Gatorade - to stay on topic) and a fragment of PowerBar or bananner. If I miss, then I might be lookin' at a little thirst until the next set up but I usually jog in place and take a couple of swings until I get it through. My pit-man, world famous climber Denis Erectus, will occasionally set up "mystery wickets" in obnoxious locations with no treats to follow, the most annoying being on that nasty hill on the way up to Paradise just after the turn-off to Stevens Canyon above Narada Falls. He'll put one across the road on a slope forcing me to cross when I'm working hardest. In between, he sits in a lawn chair and reads a book, and afterwards, it's beer 'n babes at Cougar Rock campground and a couple of days of climbing.

There it is, and I'm training for it now!

(I've taken my mallet climbing a couple of times. Would like to round up a few jokers to play in the Rainer crater sometime.)

See you at CAMROD/RAMROD!

- DDDDDDDDDDDDDDwayner