Alpine solo tent selection help?

DanO

Hello,

I need to get a solo alpine tent, I want something sub 3 pounds better to be 2.5lb and under. I want something that could

go into a bivy spot if needed on a peak top. IE, hang tent poles over the edge and/or a end or two over a edge , uneven ground and so on. Want something to handle moderate snowfall, can take some sagging for weight savings. Some wind, etc,

I am considering the solo tents here.

http://www.rei.com/category/4500666

The Ol Tarptent

http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

Terra Nova Laser Competition

http://www.promountainsports.com/tents.shtml

Will consider any other tent.

Maybe I want too much? Have to go over 3 pounds?

Don't want to take on full on winter conditions up high, but

want to survive a storm in the spring or fall.

Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would consider the one shot but a little concerned about the

epic fabric, I most likely can be in a long cold hard rain.

I found this tent and it may be the ticket? Not many reviews

out there.

msr hubba Hp

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/msr/hubba-hp/review/13763/

It seems to be made for moderate alpine use because

of the fabric body. The weight is down also, will do more

searching.

Thanks

http://www.rab.uk.com/products_shelter_summitex.html

* Mountaineering shelter, specifically designed and featured for cold and snowy mountain environments.

* Internally pitched Easton poles

* Two sealed 'donut link' tie in points

* Rear snow collection drawcord porthole

* Two internal pockets, glow in the dark zip pullers

* Shock quencher guys

* 10000mm laminated nylon waterproof bathtub base

* This shelter is not designed for UK backpacking in wet conditions

Thanks for the help, but I don't think Event tents are really that great for the pacific northwest unless in dead of winter and or always above snow line. I most likely will be long times of

rain or wet snow. Also I really want to get below 3 pounds if at all possible.

Any have experience with the Hubba HP?

http://www.msrgear.com/tents/hubbahp.asp

For Summer, the Rainbow is a good tent. I'm not fond of it when the temp dips and the wind picks up though. It's a bit breezy even when set with the sides down. I just took a new Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 SL on 4 days into the Enchantmnets and it did really well with the wind. It's very light for a 2 wall tent - under 3 pounds. It set up fairly fast but not as fast as a single wall of course. I spept with my bag cover the first night just-in-case but wound up having no moisture problems at all. The only issue I have with it is it was kinda cramped crawling in and out of...and I'm not a big guy. Also, with the floor layout like it is, no chance of squeezing 2 people head-to-toe in this one.

I have the Eureka Spitfire. It's a decent 1 man, double walled, sub 3-pound tent for a great price (I think I paid about $90). I haven't used it in a hard rain but the fly comes down close to the ground so I think it would work fine as long as the seams were water tight. The inside tent wall is mesh so it's well ventilated and not a good option for snow and/or cold temps. It's also not free-standing, which may be an issue.

Rainbow, looks good but in the tree line not above. Did consider

it.

I have the double seedhouse SL tent for two people, a light tent and I like it. Though it is a little small, it works OK for me and my GF. I notice though it lets water in when getting in and out and after a long hard rain with two people you slowly get wet from sleeping bags and other stuff touching the walls. Seedhouse SL is a tough little tent and does very well, I like it but want something different for solo, a different design.

Me and GF went and checked out the Hubba at REI, they don't have

Hubba HP at the store. You can get two people in it, if one or both are small and are very friendly, going head to toe. Also two

guys in a emergency. Same size as the Hubba HP. So I am pretty sure I will try the Hubba HP. It looks good to cook in and hang out in, during bad weather. It is made for fall and spring use for mixed weather.

I personally don't favor single wall tents, I would rather have

a double wall if the weight is similar. With the new material for

double wall tents the weight is really getting down, so old school

double wall may become new school again for light weight.

Shall see how tough it is?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after all the trouble I picked up a Akto, the weight a little more than I want. I am going to slowly put it on a diet, carbon poles and so on. Shoot for 3lbs carry weight.

Me and GF went to below sulfide glacier on Shuksan this weekend,

snow camped and it worked great for the two of us. A little tight

for non couples, but it could be done for emergency, for a couple it is a decent choice for a night or two. I think it really roomy for one, even the vestibule was large enough for both of our gear. The key is to use foam pads and put one set up inside the

triangle section on one side of the tent, we will make a special pad system to fit the bottom shape of the tent. It won't work with a couple with inflatable pads. The triangle section is good to place knees or hips of the person on that side. It rained, nothing got in, mild weather, so no real test yet, but I noticed that the water didn't seem to get in where we touch the walls, along the wall next to the vestibule one can touch the wall during a rain storm safely for sure. We was able to get both our heads on the uphill side of the slope and was fairly comfortable. We did get a fair amount of condensation, I am still trying to get the ventilation system right. This is a very warm tent and built for true 4 season use. GF got sick so bailed out on peak.

I am happy because of the multi use this shelter will give me.(pulled this photo off the web, not our tent.)

incredible-tent.jpg

Pro mountain sports will let you set it up and check it out in store if interested, if they have one in stock, I took the last one they had at this time. They also have a one man Montbell tent I liked very much in stock not on website, it's a 3 season tent. Lower weight tent/tarp, 2.2lb to 2.6lb

Edited by DanO

Yo Dano,

I was in the same boat as you for over 3 years... I could not find a tent that suited my needs. Spacious, study, and light. I sucked it up for 3 years with a Integral designs e-Vent unishelter and tarp refusing to compromise.... I didn't like the Atko because it wasn't free standing.

This year the Hilleberg Soulo came out and as soon as I saw it I knew it was the perfect solo tent for my needs. It's a brick shit house and it can be set up in seconds. I used it on half my climbs this summer and loved it.

I copied some other dude and got SMC snow anchors (instead of the honkin hilleberg ones) and used dyneema cord by hilleberg on them. The whole setup with snow anchors and Ti stakes comes in under 5.5 lbs. I also made a solar/thermal sil reflective barrier for it, so I can sleep in the heat of the day.

There is enough room in the Soulo if your woman sleeps on top of you :)

I am curious to know how the Atko and soulo would stand up to each other in wind tunnel tests. I had my Soulo in 45 mph winds with just 6 anchors and it wasn't phased.... I've seen photos of the Atko used in polar trips with high winds, but I'm sure you would need a gang of snow anchors to accomplish what the Soulo can do with just 6.

Go big or go home, get a Soulo.

Jim

Took our atko out again, we got two cheap blue pads from Wall Mart

and took two regular pads and fitted up the blue pads and cut the

blue pads in a triangle shape. So the whole floor of atko is covered from side to side, to max the sleeping area. I would not call it spacious but it works fine for us a couple. It takes a little more effort to pack the triangle shaped blue pads on the back of her backpack.

Have not tested this tent in a hard rain with me and her, may

have some water come in if we are touching tent sides. Don't

know yet, no problems in light rain.

I opened up totally the end ventilation flaps and the top ventilation opening and had NO condensation over night with very

little wind this weekend.

A true DOUBLE WALL four season tent for two that weighs at 3lbs 8 ounces! That is hard to beat. Plan to use it when weight counts and need four season, like maybe Rainer.

Soulo looks to be a great tent. I like free standing as well, I

think it would be better choice if you plan to be in extreme weather higher up. I plan to be in more mixed conditions. Tunnel tents in general do well in high winds. Snow loads will be much

better in a Soulo.

Nice tents all.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Just out to defend BD- Dan's already made his decision.

I've got a BD firstlight. I've had it out a few times, and my only complaint is condensation. I was out for 3 days in the NY adirondacks in horrible sleet, and the fabric didn't leak. Unfortunately, without a vestibule, I had to close the door entirely, preventing a good crossbreeze to eliminate the condensation. I woke up and had to sponge down the top, but that was about it.

It does much better in higher, dryer, environments. Unbelievably stable in high winds in the sierras and the NH whites. Also, it is set up from the inside, which is rather nice when it's pissing freezing rain.