[TR] Jack - EastRidge 9/13/2008

JasonG

Trip: Jack - EastRidge

Date: 9/13/2008

Trip Report:

Well, this is going to be short and sweet because I am a dad now and need my sleep. Since there is no TR per se for this route in the database (but thanks to curtveld for some great info), I figure folks might be interested.

A short while ago Tim, T.J. and myself hiked our butts up to Jerry Lakes for leisurely assault on Jack, somewhere around 48 hours car to car.

IMG_8109.JPG

The hike in was fast on trail up to Crater Lake and then some cross country travel around Crater, past the Jerry Glacier:

IMG_7906.JPG

Including some nice views over to fall colors on Jakita Ridge:

IMG_7909.JPG

Jerry Lakes are a great spot to camp, with fine views, and decent fishing (Mmmm, furry trout):

IMG_8073.JPG

IMG_7919.JPG

IMG_7936.JPG

On our summit day, we climbed above the lakes and got a view of the route (the right skyline):

IMG_7951.JPG

. . .then dropped a disheartening amount on the other side, and began our climb up to the east glacier. We had to do some wet, loose, 4th class scrambling to get on the ridge itself (the glacier was pretty broken, otherwise it is probably straightforward snow travel), but once on it the climbing was surprisingly good:

IMG_7961.JPG

IMG_7977.JPG

As Beckey says, pretty solid 3rd and 4th class, with a snow bit towards the top. We belayed a short bit right before the summit, but pretty much just carefully scrambled the rest. I think it took us about 3 hours to get to the ridge, a couple hours climbing up, and a couple hours on the summit delaying the reportedly unsavory descent. Good times, and some pretty expansive summit views:

IMG_7998.JPG

Then came the not so good times, the descent down the south face. See if you can find two climbers here:

IMG_8009.JPG

While never very serious, it is a long and tedious descent where you have to stay on your toes. Maybe it helps if you have come up this way before, but we had not, so it was slow going. This type of stuff is not fun no matter how you cut it:

IMG_8019.JPG

All in all it was a great trip to a mountain I have wanted to climb for some time. We basically went up the right skyline in the photo below and came down the middle of the mountain:

IMG_8088.JPG

And it this report wouldn't be complete without a team photo:

IMG_8114.JPG

Some fall colors:

IMG_8122.JPG

And me looking like an idiot:

IMG_8129.JPG

Gear Notes:

Fly rod, 8.5mm half rope, a few nuts, a couple of tri-cams, crampons, and axe. Don't forget your HELMET!

Approach Notes:

A long way up and down and up and down.

Edited by Heinrich

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic