hold pulled off at Ozone

sh47

climbing at Ozone yesterday and heard a loud crash- turns out a lead climber pulled off a big flake that hit him in the head and then fell down on the lower trail. i don't know this area too well, but i heard someone say the route was snake face or snake bite or something like that. it was one of the western most routes there.

the climber was not wearing a helmet and left with a big bandage on his forehead that was soaked through with blood. he seemed OK when he was leaving- anyone know the outcome? is he OK? how many stitches? i gotta say, we were only there for a few hrs and we saw that rock fall incident, and then another when someone kicked a rock loose and it fell near the belayer. so many reasons to always wear a helmet!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i gotta say, we were only there for a few hrs and we saw that rock fall incident, and then another when someone kicked a rock loose and it fell near the belayer.

Go back for more than a few hours and you'll see even more rockfall. Lots of holds, flakes, etc. ready to go. In particular, a key hold on the Left Shield Wall route, is loose and would definately ruin the belayer's day (and then the belayee's about half a second later) if it broke. Also, it would make the route the areas newest 5.12 and by that I mean 5.11.

- go climb meth rage!

No shit.

Ozone is still being cleaned by the climbers that climb there. You should have seen it in 2005. It was down right scary. Wear your helmet. In 2006 Pink_Chalk knocked a rock down on my head. I was not wearing my helmet and a block the size of a brick hit my head. I ended up getting two staples in my head.

Wear your helmet.

See you all at the guide book party.

- go climb meth rage!

No shit.

Ozone is still being cleaned by the climbers that climb there. You should have seen it in 2005. It was down right scary. Wear your helmet. In 2006 Pink_Chalk knocked a rock down on my head. I was not wearing my helmet and a block the size of a brick hit my head. I ended up getting two staples in my head.

Cue the Peanut Gallery Kevbone comments in 3....2....1...

I understand, first hand, how much hard, dirty work it takes to clean a route on a chossy cliff, and I respect your efforts. Congrats on the new area!

That said, and this will probably not be well-received, I certainly wouldn't send the general public out to climb routes I'd developed if I thought they might get badly hurt or killed because I didn't finish cleaning out the dangerous choss.

If people are well aware of the risks then that's another story. Hopefully the guidebook has a LARGE warning about potential hazards, perhaps route by route.

That said, and this will probably not be well-received, I certainly wouldn't send the general public out to climb routes I'd developed if I thought they might get badly hurt or killed because I didn't finish cleaning out the dangerous choss.

If people are well aware of the risks then that's another story. Hopefully the guidebook has a LARGE warning about potential hazards, perhaps route by route.

what guidebook doesn't have such a warning?

you know how choss goes - when it's bad, you can pull out all you want and there'll still be more!

What Ivan said is pretty right on. The routes were cleaned as well as possible, but mother nature has ensured that some - though not all - of the routes at Ozone will always be works in progress. The guidebook makes this clear (again, as all guidebooks do)

We can all name plenty of Smith Rock routes that fall into the same category, with key nubbins and flakes disappearing and making the routes feel harder (or easier) than the original rating.

and speaking of ratings, what 5-12 at ozone feels 5-11? just curious, because there are only 3 at the whole crag, and all 3 are at the far end in "the cave." (that question is for you, Farrgo ;)

Ozone, by and large, is comprised of highly fractured basalt and it only takes a momentary glance at it to establish that fact. Any expectations that routes there (or anywhere) should be solid and 'well constructed' are entirely misplaced and naive. The warning shouldn't come from a guide, but rather arrive as some form of [instant] recognition around the reality of what you are looking at when you walk down there. Anyone incapable of such a basic evaluation of rock (and belaying accordingly) probably doesn't belong out there.

Ozone, by and large, is comprised of highly fractured basalt and it only takes a momentary glance at it to establish that fact. Any expectations that routes there (or anywhere) should be solid and 'well constructed' are entirely misplaced and naive. The warning shouldn't come from a guide, but rather arrive as some form of [instant] recognition around the reality of what you are looking at when you walk down there. Anyone incapable of such a basic evaluation of rock (and belaying accordingly) probably doesn't belong out there.

And yet they continue to go there anyway:-) :wave:

Anyone want to play "spy the loose rock?"

cliff_small.jpg

Folks around here have to make due, so they try.

And yet they continue to go there anyway:-) :wave:

Anyone want to play "spy the loose rock?"

cliff_small.jpg

Folks around here have to make due, so they try.

That one. Yeah, all of em.

Hey you're pretty good. Must be all the practice you get at Beacon?

See that wide spot top chimney center-left on the loose rock photo you copied?

Match it up - this is P2.

Bill_at_the_top_of_Jimmy_s_favorite.jpg

To the left of that. Far left, behind the tree, in fact, you can see the shadow of that tree here.

Bride_of_Wyde_FA_low_down_small.jpg

and speaking of ratings, what 5-12 at ozone feels 5-11? just curious, because there are only 3 at the whole crag, and all 3 are at the far end in "the cave." (that question is for you, Farrgo ;)

How about the Crumbling. There probably isn't one move on that harder than 11-. I can think of a 10a at Beacon that is more difficult.

since we're spraying, farrgo, i questioned whether the crumbling

should get a 12a because i agree it's pretty much a 5-11 climb

with a boulder problem start. but it wasn't my route and i didn't get to give it the 'official" grade. that said, i haven't been on it in 2 years, so who knows if we have even climbed the same route? (the route name seemed pretty accurate to me)

and so is that the only 12 you've been on at ozone? (and based on on that one route you've decided that all 12s at ozone must be 11s?)

and what 10a at beacon? blownout?