warning to Americans: may stun with boredom

Cairns

I just heard CBC radio host Michael Enright say that he is setting off from basecamp to climb War and Peace and is fiddling with his pitons.

Would include suitable illustration but am currently unable to locate upload images option

But the question is: just a weird metaphor or misappropriation of climbing culture?

no need to warn Canadians, they are born into boredom

Edited by Cairns

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard CBC radio host Michael Enright say that he is setting off from basecamp to climb War and Peace and is fiddling with his pitons.

But the question is: just a weird metaphor or misappropriation of climbing culture?

You kind of mangled his metaphor. I heard his intro this morning, and what The Enright said was something to the effect that reading War and Peace is the literary equivalent of climbing Everest. Maybe later in the program he picked up that metaphor and ran with it a bit further, and it might not have made sense if you'd missed the intro.

We now return to regular programming...

There are slide alder and Devil's club on the approach to Everest?

I expected better - dysentery on page 20, porter strike on p.100, WiFi failure at basecamp p. 165, Annabelle Bond sighting p. 200, more dysentery p.201, ladder collapse on the Khumbu p. 273, serac collapse wipes out Camp II p. 291, support team member caught sleeping with Sherpa p. 297, etc.

There are slide alder and Devil's club on the approach to Everest?

I expected better - dysentery on page 20, porter strike on p.100, WiFi failure at basecamp p. 165, Annabelle Bond sighting p. 200, more dysentery p.201, ladder collapse on the Khumbu p. 273, serac collapse wipes out Camp II p. 291, support team member caught sleeping with Sherpa p. 297, etc.

You will need patience. What makes you think Mr. Enright is on route? He might have been attracted to an easy-looking line in The Tattler.