NYT/CBS Poll results

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yes, I believe the JFK assassination was, for the most part, exactly what it looked like: A little commie-wannabe who knew how to shoot, possibly with some additional training/indoctrination during the time he spent in the USSR. There was no second gunman.

and you my friend are with the 10% fringe kooks on that one

So please, tell me, what do you proclaim, what do you up hold, what do you represent? WHAT DOES FAIR WEATHER STAND FOR?

A mountain in Alaska.

The weather conditions under which I prefer to climb.

seriously Fairweather are you down with all the mortgage ripoff? Does it please you we are going to "bail" the golden parachute boys out with borrowed taxpayer dollars? Do you hold up and stand for that?

Do you really want stupid people as president? Do village idiots tickle your fancy?

Has the Democrat Congress' and ex-Clinton appointee's economy had a negative impact on your manssage client list? Perhaps massaging farm animals back in the home country would be more profitable?

how about your mom wanna-be commie?sorry, but i bet heavy petting zoo is already in your back yard, along with the toolshed where your daddy is waiting for you (it ain't pencil in his pocket either magic boy wonder)

seriously Fairweather are you down with all the mortgage ripoff?

Who ran Freddie and Fannie into the ground? Even as he and she took 90 million and 26 million dollar bonuses respectively? Who pressed for a gross relaxation of lending standards? Do some homework and let me know.

who was in the office for the past 8 years? no homework is needed here. i don't think the collapse was before jan 25th 2001?

What people have lost (to one extent or another) is the ability to judge from the gut. Whether it is from the media, from giving in to our own innate greed impulse, from our phony advertising based social environment, or some other aspect of our culture, we have been lead away from trusting our own natural gut instincts to "smell a rat" even when a rat is right in front of us. We try to rationalize our way into social-evolutionary dead ends like communism, religious fundamentalism and as we now can see, free market capitalism.

Dude, this is the most asinine commentary on the current state of political affairs that I've read on this website, hands-down. Our "innate ability to judge from the gut"???? You've gotta be kidding me. In what scientific journal is this phenomenon described, and what's the history of it's decline in the collective? One of the big problems with America, and the world in general, is that people make WAY too many emotionally based decisions without bothering to cloud their "gut's" judgments with the facts. Which is exactly why our media coverage is nothing more than lip-service to events that really matter in between the heated discussions over boogey-man issues that don't affect our lives. I haven't heard one real thing about the economy, energy policy, or healthcare come out of the mouths of either candidate. Instead I've heard a lot of unrealistic happy-talk intended to sway people to vote with their "guts" and not their minds. Just do us all a favor and stay home on November 4.

Edited by E-rock

seriously Fairweather are you down with all the mortgage ripoff?

Who ran Freddie and Fannie into the ground? Even as he and she took 90 million and 26 million dollar bonuses respectively? Who pressed for a gross relaxation of lending standards? Do some homework and let me know.

You didn't answer the question, are you down with it? Is this what you represent? It is certainly what your party represents.

Once again, I agree they are pretty much all corrupt. There's just a few dems and even fewer repugs that aren't. It's the degree of corruption, the repugs are more corrupt than the dems. The key banking degreg bills were by Gramm REPUBLICAN which I've already posted.

Still waiting for your list of corrupt dems that equals or exceeds the list I've already posted of corrupt repugs. Actually still waiting for several replies from you, you seem to disappear when the going gets tough.

The $700 BIL should bring the annual deficit to OVER $ONE TRILLION. How's that for the party of fiscal responsibility ehh Fairweather? Sort of looks like a big big lie to me.

Actually still waiting for several replies from you, you seem to disappear when the going gets tough.

I have decided to minimize my responses to conspiratorial kooks who tend to not be reality-based in any facets of life or who are consumed by a single idea they recently read in a book written by yet another member of kookdom. I could easily name dozens of Democrats recently revealed as corrupt--and so could you if you even cared to try. But you never even got back to me with your homework on Jamie Gorelick. Why should I give you more? Try Harry Reid or Charles Schumer. Hell, just type in 'Chicago Democrat' for God's sake.

Dude, this is the most asinine commentary on the current state of political affairs that I've read on this website, hands-down. Our "innate ability to judge from the gut"???? You've gotta be kidding me. In what scientific journal is this phenomenon described, and what's the history of it's decline in the collective? One of the big problems with America, and the world in general, is that people make WAY too many emotionally based decisions without bothering to cloud their "gut's" judgments with the facts. Which is exactly why our media coverage is nothing more than lip-service to events that really matter in between the heated discussions over boogey-man issues that don't affect our lives. I haven't heard one real thing about the economy, energy policy, or healthcare come out of the mouths of either candidate. Instead I've heard a lot of unrealistic happy-talk intended to sway people to vote with their "guts" and not their minds. Just do us all a favor and stay home on November 4.

Probably one of the best posts you've ever put up. :tup: I wish there were more libs here that made sense.

THIS libtard thinks Krugman makes some sense.

How to get America's groove back

By Thomas L. Friedman

Syndicated Columnist

Of all the points raised by different analysts about the economy last week, surely the best was Rep. Barney Frank's reminder on "Charlie Rose" that Ronald Reagan's favorite laugh line was telling audiences that: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.' "

Hah, hah, hah.

Are you still laughing? If it weren't for the government bailing out Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and AIG, and rescuing people from Hurricane Ike and pumping tons of liquidity into the banking system, our economy would be a shambles. How would you like to hear the line today: "I'm from the government, and I can't do a darn thing for you."

In this age of globalization, government matters more than ever. Smart, fiscally strong governments are the ones best able to empower their people to compete and win. I was just in Michigan to give a talk on energy. I can't tell you how many business cards I collected from innovators who had either started renewable-energy companies or were working for big firms on clean-energy solutions.

It just reminded me how much innovative prowess and entrepreneurial energy is exploding from below in this country. If it were channeled and enhanced by better leadership in Washington, no one could touch us.

If I were to draw a picture of America today, it would be of the space shuttle taking off. There is all this thrust coming from below. But the booster rocket — Washington — is cracked and leaking energy, and the pilots in the cockpit are fighting over the flight plan. So we can't achieve escape velocity to enter the next orbit — the next great industrial revolution, which is going to be ET, energy technology.

In many ways, this election is about how we get our groove back as a country. We have been living on borrowed time and borrowed dimes. President Bush has nothing to offer anymore. So that leaves us with Barack Obama and John McCain. Neither has wowed me with his reaction to the market turmoil. In fairness, though, neither man has any levers of power to pull. But what could they say that would give you confidence that they could lead us out of this rut? My test is simple: Which guy can tell people what they don't want to hear — especially his own base.

So what would get my attention from McCain? If he said the following: "My fellow Americans, I've decided for now not to continue the Bush tax cuts, because the most important thing for our country today is to get the government's balance sheet in order. We can't go on cutting taxes and not cutting spending. For too long my party has indulged that nonsense. Second, I intend to have most U.S. troops out of Iraq in 24 months. We have done all we can to midwife democracy there. Iraqis need to take it from here. We need every dollar now for nation-building in America. We will do everything we can to wind down our presence and facilitate the Iraqi elections, but we're not going to baby-sit Iraqi politicians who don't have the will or the courage to reconcile their differences — unless they want to pay us for that. In America, baby sitters get paid."

What would impress me from Obama? How about this: "The Big Three automakers and the United Auto Workers union want a Washington bailout. The only way they will get a dime out of my administration is if the automakers and unions come up with a joint plan to retool their fleets to get an average of 40 miles per gallon by 2015 — instead of the 35 mpg by 2020 that they've reluctantly accepted. I am not going to bail out Detroit with taxpayer money, but I will invest in Detroit's transformation with taxpayer money, provided the management and unions agree to radical change. At the same time, while I will go along with the bailout of the banking system, it will only be on the condition that the institutions that got us into this mess accept sweeping reforms — in terms of transparency and limits on the leverage they can amass — so we don't go through something like this again. To help me figure this out, I'm going to keep Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson on the job for a while. I am impressed with his handling of this crisis."

Those are the kind of words that would get my attention. The last president who challenged his base was Bill Clinton, when he reformed welfare and created a budget surplus with a fair and equitable tax program. George W. Bush never once — not one time — challenged Americans to do anything hard, let alone great. The next president is not going to have that luxury. He will have to ask everyone to do something hard — and I want to know now who is up to that task.

Thomas L. Friedman is a regular columnist for The New York Times.

2008, New York Times News Service