Orizaba in December

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good time of the year to go. Did this a few years ago right after Thanksgiving and it was excellent. If you're going up the standard route from the hut, don't bother with ropes -- it is just a long snow slog even though it is on the Jamapa glacier.

Any one of the outfits working out of Tlachichuca is probably fine. Most people go with Reyes -- we didn't, but I can't remember whom we used.

The new climbers hut is very large and very noisy. The three of us opted to sleep in the old, small 6-person hut which we had to ourselves. Kinda dank and dusty, but quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is mostly just a snow walk-up, no need for ropes etc. Be careful of the elevation as it hit me harder than I expected. It is nice to acclimate at the hut, but at the same time hanging around the hut makes you feel bored and lethargic. Also, the hut is indeed loud and a crazy mix of people, both climbers and non-climbers. Bring earplugs and/or an iPod or be prepared to suffer through all night conversations about Jesus.

Not sure about guides but the route is so straight forward I would think anyone could do it. Getting to the hut is done by asking around town for one of the locals to drive you up there in a truck. Don't worry about setting a pick-up as there is trucks going to the hut every day and you can always ride back down with a different drive if your driver isn't there.