Mountain Hardware?

Jens

Are these guys ever gonna go out of business? Everything they make seems to be inferior to the competition, yet they seem to get bigger and bigger every year. They got product placement with the 96' guided Everest disasters and ran with it.

Are they safe because they are owned and run by Columbia now?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've admittedly seemed a bit behind the times as far as some of the clothing and packs I've seen them produce, but they appear to be catching up.

The Phantom 32 bag that I have is stellar, and well made (light AND warm for the rating) and their new packs look really cool. I stopped into The Mountain Shop yesterday and checked out the Direttisma pack and it has some really nice features.

I think their packs are a bit heavy and too gimmicky but their tents, sleepings bags and technical clothing all appear to be comparable to the other manufacturers.

What specifically are you referring to?

Mainly the packs (in the past) and the fact that their hardshell clothing fits like garbage bags.

Mainly the packs (in the past) and the fact that their hardshell clothing fits like garbage bags.

Huh... I have two Jackets by MH (One Fleece, and one hardshell) and they fit me great. I have a normal sized body, and have to yet get the "garbage bag fit", but I guess it depends on the person. I did buy these jackets pre Columbia takeover/buy out, so perhaps their stuff is shit now a days.

admit you don't know squat about the outdoors market and move on jens.

Ouch dude!

I used to write gear reviews for climbing magazine and have worked on the retail end of selling climbing gear.

Come climbing with me sometime.

It's almost ski season - how about a ski? :)

I've the same problem - the products I wish to purchase usually aren't manufactured. If they are manufactured the product, or the company, usually disappear shortly. Leading me to what troglodytes design ski packs?

you've been hating on BD for years, they make a good product and grow larger every year for that exact reason.

I don't think a comparison of MH to BD is a very good one. BD makes really good gear and most serious climbers own some BD gear.

MH is becoming more comparable to TNF and Marmot. They are starting to cater to the more-casual outdoorsy folk who go day-hiking, backpacking, perhaps some cragging - not hard(wo)man climbing like all of us at cc.com! Nothing wrong with those activities/markets, but you just don't need to over-analyze and minimize and strip the weight to the bare essential for those types of activities.

• 3 weeks later...

Yall be hate-as. I own some MH gear and i like it. I just bout the GTX 2.5 pants ,there in da mail, so i have yet to try them. Just remember some of the bigest names in climbing use there gear on some of the toughest hills. Just look at the Ed (ed viesturs) and others, though wheather its good gear is just upon the user. Peace out-Collin

just because "the biggest names" use them does not mean anything. Those people could be paid to use them gear. called sponsorship. There are plenty of good climbers using crappy NF gear. If walmart sponsored climbers, there would be some great climbers wearing the walmart apron, sending hard none the less.

Are these guys ever gonna go out of business? Everything they make seems to be inferior to the competition, yet they seem to get bigger and bigger every year. They got product placement with the 96' guided Everest disasters and ran with it.

Are they safe because they are owned and run by Columbia now?

Maybe if you avoided the chinese knockoffs and went with Mountain Hardwear instead...

Mixed results here. My Trango 3.1 tent was shredded in high winds, two broken poles and torn fly. MH replaced the fly and poles n/c in spite of it being mostly my own fault for not rigging it correctly. On the other hand, when the zipper broke last year on a MH softshell jacket they wouldn't (couldn't) fix it and had no more of the same type jacket to replace it with.

If i was paid i would wear a blue walmart apron but "I" think MH and "some" north face gear is good. Dont just look at the sponsered climbers but also some big guid servises. There job i to keep people safe and they stll use MH but like i said its up to the user. MH is probably on of the largest names in the climbing industry (not street, like the NF) so i think you are safe to still use. By the way my MH GTX 2.5 pants came in to day!!!!!