The Bush Response

prole

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, depending on what he had to say, it might have been the best choice. I don't know what you could say that would be positive at this point, and as president you don't want to have a press conference to talk about a negative that everyone already knows about.

I guess he could say "We're not dead yet!".

Several hours later, in a bid to save the economy from further meltdown, the government announced it would provide an emergency loan of $85 billion to rescue insurance giant American International Group. The Federal Reserve said in a statement it determined that a disorderly failure of AIG could hurt the already delicate financial markets and the economy.

How about $85 billion to rescue our schools?

I am not concerned about any of this. Earlier today Joe Biden promised me enough money for a new toaster.

I'd rather have a toaster than have someone borrowing $600 in my name and then giving it to me telling me it's a rebate. In other words forcing me to take out a loan of which I'll only be allowed to pay the interest.

From White House Upbeat on Economy, AP 9/17/08

Bush agreed with the loan for AIG at the White House on Tuesday after being presented with a recommendation from Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke during a meeting of economic advisers. Perino said it is more appropriate to describe Bush's role as consulting on the move rather than approving it.

She said she understands why Americans would be confused that the government would be willing to put taxpayer money at risk for some companies and not others, and that putting federal money into the private sector might be seen as at odds with Bush's conservative, free-market economic philosophy.

"We are dealing with very challenging times," Perino told reporters. "You have a government that is willing to lead, act where appropriate, and govern to make sure that we limit broader financial harm to the economy."

The president has been silent about the market turmoil since Monday. He canceled previously announced plans to talk about it on Tuesday, and Perino said he would not be heard from on the topic on Wednesday, either.

Perino said the president is reluctant to hold a news conference because he believes reporters would try to draw him into the daily back-and-forth between the Democratic and Republican candidates to replace him and that that would be inappropriate.

"I grant you, you haven't heard from him in a while," she said.

Bush has not held a full news conference in two months. His last formal question-and-answer session was abbreviated and permitted only limited questioning more than a month ago in Seoul, South Korea.

And the last time he took any questions from reporters was on Sept. 7, in a brief interview with Fox News Channel's "Fox & Friends."