Charging for rescue

letsroll

Can someone please explain to me why spending my tax dollars on rescuing people is so bad that several times a year we have to got through a cycle of bitching about it, but spending my tax dollars on enormous visitors' centers, RV hookups, and paved nature trails for people who don't want to get more than 500 yards away from their cars merits no comment whatsoever?

If I'm going to complain about where my tax dollars go, it would be turning the wilderness into Disneyland, not rescuing folks who are in trouble.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things are too important to leave to the wasteful hands of government. Rescue is certainly one of them. Furthermore, there is no more efficient way to deliver the best quality services to those who need them than an unfettered pricing mechanism.

Ask yourself this; when your out there in the dead of winter with a compound fracture of the femur and the head of your dick stuck in the Diet Pepsi can you just urinated into, do you really want some fat, not-my-job sheriff with a AA degree in Small Engine Repair and Maintenance organizing your last chance at life, or a talented professional who's fought his way to the top of an enormous dogpile of desperately unemployed Untouchables who will starve his whole family if he fucks up so much as a helpful greeting on one of his monitored-for-quality-assurance calls?

You can do what you want during your next rescue, but I've added a credit card to my emergency field surgery kit.

Well, take this with a grain of salt, as it is an anecdote from my drink-addled memory.

I recall that about 15 years ago or so, there was some of this talk around Canmore concerning their local search and rescue. Turned out that only a small percentage of the rescues were for what you would call "climbers", with the preponderance of the resources being used to aid injured mountain bikers. In fact, there were more rescues enacted with the assistance of climbers than actually for climbers.

Well, take this with a grain of salt, as it is an anecdote from my drink-addled memory.

I recall that about 15 years ago or so, there was some of this talk around Canmore concerning their local search and rescue. Turned out that only a small percentage of the rescues were for what you would call "climbers", with the preponderance of the resources being used to aid injured mountain bikers. In fact, there were more rescues enacted with the assistance of climbers than actually for climbers.

Nationwide, only 3% of all rescues involve climbers. It's a non-problem.

There has always been a large segment of the American population that wants things safe, comfy, and boring. This glob of couch potatoes resents climbers, motorcyclists, and anyone else who choses to take life by the balls. I suspect that the attitude stems from having a dissatisfying life; the last such a person wants to do is keep their eyes on their own plate.

What is the difference?

none, imo...you warrant a rescue on the freeway from a car crash, you'll get a bill...

you warrant a rescue in the hills, you'll get a bill...

europe is this way...might encourage a little more caution/get-myself-out-of-this-mess-by-myself-ness...

But, like, you never go out into the mountains, so what do you care?

You don't get a bill from a car crash rescue, BTW. Neither the State Patrol nor EMT services sends you a bill. You do have to pay for medical care, as you would if you were injured cutting tomatoes in your kitchen, but that's different from the rescue part.

Bottom line; these services are ALREADY PAID FOR by tax dollars. They are also necessary for training purposes. Charging for them is double taxation.

"We need to charge to rescue mountain climbers." People who argue for that list that people are taking undue risk. Well how about the people who are now getting rescued from the devistation of Ike?? They took on undue risk.

The gobment should not be in the business of rescuing people.

If you are going to ask for help when you screw up or get in trouble, and they have to pay, then they get to dictate what, when and where you will go.

It's that simple. So they should be out of the rescue business so we can be free.

That simple.

Simple minds require simple answers.

The government is in the road building business, yet they do not tell me where to drive.

The government is in the food safety business, yet they do not tell me what to eat.

The government is in the drug approval business, yet they do not tell me what drugs I must take.

The goverment...

...oh, you get the idea. This non-argument practically bludgeons itself to death...no need for me to continue.

And the idea that people are somehow less careful in the wilderness because they can always call in for a free rescue is absolute shite.

People are better prepared, educated, and equipped for wilderness travel than ever before.

There are more calls for rescue because:

There are more people now (fucking duh).

There are more cell phones with which to make the calls. These are made not by alpinists, who are usually out of cell phone range, but by people in situations closer to urban areas; stuck 4x4s, etc, lost hikers on Tiger, etc.

Perhaps we should charge for the right to carry a cell phone in the backcountry.

well that's only b/c you're sensible

Welcome back! :wave: Does this mean your Spray vacation is over now that it's officially Fall?

maybe, maybe not.

i will maintain my whimsical, inconsistent philosophy to spray. the amount and content of my spray will be indirectly proportional to kevbone's spray.

the fall forecasts calls for light spray, with many spray free days but intermittent down pours of spray.

Some things are too important to leave to the wasteful hands of government. Rescue is certainly one of them. Furthermore, there is no more efficient way to deliver the best quality services to those who need them than an unfettered pricing mechanism.

Dude, enough with the free market/privatize everything religion. When you have a little evidence to support your assertions, try again.

charging for rescue? What's next? The fire department sending bills? The police department asking for a deposit before they respond to a burglary call?

phhh :rolleyes:

Some version of this has already been going on for quite a while.

So get up, get, get get down

911 is a joke in yo town

Get up, get, get, get down

Late 911 wears the late crown. --Public Enemy, 1990

Gee, this kinda talk during the same week we have to RESCUE Wall Street........

Frickin free marketeers! (Rhymes with racketeers :lmao:)

That philosophy in the medical industry has priced routine wellness care well beyond my reach, nevermind if I actually get sick or hurt. So maybe we should depend on the new "Mounties Inc." then????