Hands-free upper body workout?

I'm currently recovering from a hand injury and can't use my right hand for any heavy lifting. I'd like to continue working on upper body strength, but I can't seem to find many exercises that don't require gripping with both hands. Obviously, I could do dumbbell exercises with my left hand, but I don't want to work one side of my body while neglecting the other. Suggestions?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for you. I shattered my wrist last year and was in a cast for 6 month's. I tried to keep up the workouts, but let me tell you, it's not the same. My advice is to focus more on your diet. Keep the weight off. Once your healthy start lifting again. I made the mistake of thinking I could still eat like I was when I was burning 3-4000 calaries a day. When your hurt all your activity decreases and the calaries just sit there.

I hate to discurage (sp?) you but it's the truth. I did ride the bike and played squash with my left hand, it helps.

Just my two cents.

JIMI

There are perhaps several things you might be able to do:

1) swim (if you can't grip but can still move the hand to some degree without difficulty; is it in a cast?) -- great therapeutic exercise and one of the best things you can do for upper strength when limited by gripping

2) try using heavy resistance (full loop) Jump Stretch bands wrapped around wrist or elbow so you can continue to work lats/rhomboids (e-mail back if you want phone number/more info; this may be a good thing to put on the Body Results web site, so stay tuned!)

3) any difficulty pressing? Can you do pushups, for example, but just no gripping of weights or cables?

4) some machines (gasp! I never recommend them except in rare cases! smile.gif) may allow you to work upper body (shoulder raises, triceps extensions, flyes and the like) without requiring any gripping.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

------------------

Courtenay Schurman, CSCS