Economic News

Mal_Con

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we certainly should look to the Stalinist/Mao model for economic success as they disliked the free market as much as you.

Are you filling in for Kojak here, Bill? You forgot:

Pol Pot

Hitler

Count Dracula

Caligula

Gargamel

Francoise Mitterand

Bill Ayers

Sauron

Che Guevara

Jane Fonda

Attila the Hun

FDR

Lord Voldemort

Etc.

Now that Milton Friedman's Free Market Medicine Show has been discredited for the sham that it always was, maybe the knee jerk reactionary cries of "Red Devils!" and "Road to Serfdom!" every time someone wonders aloud why ol' Ronnie's "cure for what ails ya" tastes an awful lot like dogshit will soon subside as well.

One reason these threads are so one sided is that at times participating in them just makes you feel bad. For example, while reading J_B's post where he calls me a goon I couldn't help but imagine him a gawky 13 year old red in the face, tears streaming down and spaghetti ground into his hair screaming the same words to his Jr High School tormenters: “You Goons!”

Any rational free-market believer would have reconsidered and rejected that belief back in the 1800s as watching John D. Rockefeller or Carnegie cured everyone of the myth of the greatness of a pure free market.

You shouldn't attempt to rewrite history so soon, it makes you look desingenious. Countless extremists like Norquist, Gramm, Gingrich and others have dismantled/prevented every single piece of market regulation they could get their hands on in the last 30 years. All in the name of the mythical "free" market.

Eventually, free market zealots have punctuated the Reagan counter-revolution by handing out more than 5 trillions dollars of public money to corporations (iraq war, bailouts, unsecured loans, tax breaks, no bid/cost plus contracts,...). Free market ideology has once again been exposed for what it always was: handouts for the sole benefit of economic elites.

One reason these threads are so one sided is that at times participating in them just makes you feel bad. For example, while reading J_B's post where he calls me a goon I couldn't help but imagine him a gawky 13 year old red in the face, tears streaming down and spaghetti ground into his hair screaming the same words to his Jr High School tormenters: “You Goons!”

OMG! :blush: I can so see that....

Red baiting like your intellectual father, Joe McCarthy, makes you think of highschool tormenters? :cry: Personally, it makes me think of neo-fascists who ruined peoples lives because they were leftists. WHAAAA!!!! :cry: Gooooon! WHAAAA!!!! :cry:

there there lil fella, 's OK....

Thank you for confirming that you are indeed a red-baiting goon. What does it say that this site keeps empowering unsavory individuals like PP? WHAAAA!!!! :cry: Gooooon! WHAAAA!!!! :cry:

There there lil fella..... :lmao:

ps, JB, try not personally attacking anyone who doesn't agree with you and see if some of that virtrual stops coming back your way hey?

Edited by billcoe

"Little Puget Foo Foo

Running through the forest

Scooping up the door mice

And bopping them on the head!

Down came the Good Fairy, and she said:

"Little Puget Foo Foo

I don't wanna see you

Scooping up the field mice

And bopping them on the head!

I will give you three chances,

And if you don't behave, I will turn you into a GOON!"

[video:youtube]

Edited by Mal_Con

ps, JB, try not personally attacking anyone who doesn't agree with you and see if some of that virtrual stops coming back your way hey?

It definitely doesn't work that way around here, bill. I don't personally attack Fairweather or KK, for example, and their employ of insulting rhetoric is 10 to 1 compared to mine, but I certainly draw a lot of their vitriol.

I see PP's point, to degree: the name calling is a turn off. But I think the imbalance in the political threads stems much more from the fact that some people don't want to have a real back and forth discussion than it does from perceived slight.

What you think you are saying:

......I didn't "personally attack" anyone ..

:lmao:

He is despicable scum.

He seems like a great guy to me. You're OK too when you lighten up a bit BTW.

PS, Matts a good guy too, despite what gets said.

Edited by billcoe

You can parse my words all you want Bill, but until you provide a quote showing that I "personally insulted" PP before he started red baiting, you don't have a point. I publically call PP a "goon" and "despicable scum" because he is a red baiter, not because of his failed ideology.

Funny thing being called a goon reminded me of the song "Goon Squad" by EC. From there is was a short step to enjoying some of the early Clash albums. I was thinking all Clash albums were good until Sandinista. This made me miss my wife who, oddly enough, is currently in El Salvador providing free medical care to the poor.

Funny how the mind works. J_B's insults just inpsired a bunch of good thoughts!

Are we supposed to read your mind or do you actually have a point? Note that it the 2nd instance of your making gratuitous assertions in this thread that you cannot substantiate.

Well, if you read the 2 previous posts prior to mine, you may see my point. I know that reading others words appears to be difficult though, but I'd rather not just say it again despite your request. Substantiate what? Just read it, it's black and white, right here, no need to look any further sir. Unless I just need to start talking slower.....hmmmmm?

Take care Jb, I'm moving on as this is starting to just get silly now.