Favorite Energy Food

I'm actually writing an article on bars and goo, as well. I've "taste-tested" about 25 different ones, and will have some nutritional info on them, maybe we can collaborate?

As for my favorites so far:

Luna Bars/Clif Bars, various flavors.

Genisoy Bars, especially the mint, but anything they make is usually pretty good.

PowerGel, vanilla and Strawberry/Bananna. The double caffeine tangerine tastes horrible!

I really liked Clif Shots when they came in the toothpaste tubes.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 11-06-2000).]

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how about energy levels following consumption of those bars, Alex?

Other bars I find to be tolerable are the PR bars, although again, they're the 40-30-30 mix and are good for daily consumption, but leave me "bonking" to some degree when out on a strenuous climb.

Where do you hope to publish/print your review, magazine or on-line? Might be interesting to share opinions/results!

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to write an article on energy bars and drinks and just wanted to see what your favorites are for climbing energy. My favorites: fruit punch Gatorade (my husband prefers fierce lime) and Protein Plus Power Bars (chocolate fudge brownie or peanut butter).

I also love the new flavors of Balance Bars: Balance Gold (tastes like a Snickers!), lemon meringue, and chocolate mint (tastes like Andes candies.) However, I also know that the 40-30-30 bars are not the best for endurance trips (like Adams or Rainier) because they are a little too LOW in carbs; for those trips, adding dried fruit to my favorite trail mix does the trick.

How about the rest of you? Any particular favorites you'd like to share with the world?

------------------

Courtenay Schurman, CSCS

Bagles. I vote for Bagles. They do the job pretty good for me, and they're priced to fit my budget.

My take on energy bars has been that just about any type will do when you're hungry and about to hit empty. I have noticed a very, very small difference between the Balance type bar, and the full carb bar. Very slight. But for the most part, just keeping my body nourished with a balanced diet, and food on the go will do.

As to taste? Well, original Powerbars are the worst. Ever. I keep one of these on hand at all times. Huh? You say! Why? I use it as last-chance, total desperation, near death from starvation, emergency food. I keep one of these as oppose to one of the other yummy kinds, because I know I won't ever eat the Powerbar as a "treat". It just sits there, waiting for the day I'm in a serious bind and really, really need it.

For Bar: Sportspharma Promax Bars. They are the best in taste and energy that I have ever used, and I have tried almost all of them. They have 20 grams of protein, enough to launch you to the moon. Get them at Trader Joe’s for 99 cents, anywhere else your paying $1.60 minimum. Don’t bother with the other bars.

For Drink: Cytomax. It comes in powder in cans or packets. You can mix to your liking which is really nice. It tastes good, isn’t loaded with simple sugars, and is the one I’m most happy with. Supposedly there is a component (alpha-L-polylactate for you chemistry guys) which is supposed to buffer your lactic acid level in the blood, but there is really no good evidence for this. I have found Performance Bike Shop has the best prices.

For Gel: GU. I don’t use gels very often, only when I’m biking, and I haven't bonked using this one.

-Jon

intensity@cascadeclimbers.com

I actually like Cytomax too. But I have to have it watered down. Either that, or I have to NOT use it as a substite for water, under any cirsumstance. Guzzle it, then leave it behind and go on my way with water in my bottle.

I too like GU. But CliffShot's are my favorite of those types. Powergel are okay. Never tried JogMate (has protein). These (and Cytomax) are great for altitude when everything else you try to eat you just hurl. These, you can at least wash down.

I'll have to check Trader Joes for those bars. I love that store to begin with!

Has anyone ever tried the energy bars made by Melleleuca? (Same people that make tea and other health items). They say they have a patented product that helps burn more fats that the others don't have (doesn't PR* say the same though?). I tried them once, and they worked okay (again, most work okay with me), but they tasted awful.

Has anyone here tried a strict PR* plan/diet? I actually bought a case once and I did find they lasted pretty long without bonking. Whether they burned more fat, I don't know.

Anyone here try the Zone diet? Zone makes their own bars now, but they appear to be no different than Balance for the most part looking at the ingredients. And Balance tend to taste better.

Hey there Jon, Snow --

Thanks for the comments here. I've heard great things about Cytomax for carb replacement for gym workouts; we'll have to give it a try out in the wilderness as well. I, too, prefer gu for high altitudes.

As for my own daily experience, I've found that the 40-30-30 (Zone, PR, etc.) bars work fairly well, especially for getting lean off season, although when I'm out climbing in-season, I feel there are not enough carbs to support long efforts. Turkey sandwiches (on bagels or bread) seem to work just as well. What do you all think about your energy levels when eating these bars?

------------------

Courtenay Schurman, CSCS

Power gel (strawberry banana and vanilla seem to be the most palatable) and Cytomax. When moving I swallow the equivalent of 2 tablespoons of powergel every 30-45 minutes and follow it with roughly a cup of Cytomax.

I have been able to do multi-day trips and exist on nothing but these two substances. This includes 14+ hour days for several days in a row.

Before I adopted this plan I bonked quite frequently using bars of ANY type and food plans of any type. I do not experience any weight loss or negative side effects at high levels of exertion. It also has the benefit of being extremely convenient, lightweight and simple (KeepItSimpleStupid).

Sometimes I carry jerky for flavor, but the only thing I can say about that is that it keeps you sane.

Mike

North Bend

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I would add my two cents to this issue.

I like Munch bars best when I have been going hard all day. My favorite is, turkey jerky, maybe a bagel, and my Munch bar. Anyone who has ever climbed, hiked, or gone to the beach with me knows I don't leave home without my Munch bar.

For those who have never hear of Munch bars; they are made by Snickers, and are peanuts and some type of hard stuff. Tasty tasty!!

I've tried all the super bars, and my favorites are cliff peanut butter, and balance peanut butter. You might be asking why so much peanut butter, well I don't like chocolate.

I stay away from gels. I figure if you have to go to one of those you did not prepare or train correctly. I eat a good meal before and after exercise, which sets me up for the next exercise session.

Well that's my two cents.

JIMI

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, another advantage to gels (though this is speculation on my part, I don't have references or proof to support it) is they won't easily freeze -- like carb drinks, or bars that become impossible to chew. Any carbs in liquid (or "gel") form will be more quickly assimilated into the blood stream and hence used for energy -- marathon runners love them because you don't have to chew, just sort of swallow. If the thought of taking a bite of ANYTHING at altitude turns your stomach, have gel or Gu on hand so at least you'll have SOME energy to keep going. And I'd also suggest you try these at lower elevation to find a flavor you like -- worst thing in the world is to rely on something you've never tasted before, only to find it's so gross you have to go without any energy at all...

------------------

Courtenay Schurman, CSCS

I think Dan P. Smith basically spelled it out in another forum. Buy-borrow-steal "Extreme Alpinism" by Mark Twight. He talks about training, Cytomax, energy bars, and GU (Power Gel rox!) in depth. I am a convert and it works. Premature bonking and gagging on gorp days are over.

And I don't even get paid to say this. If you know someone that wants to pay me to say this let me know.

Mike

North Bend

[This message has been edited by mikeadam (edited 12-01-2000).]

• 2 weeks later...

My two favorites (neither of which have been mentioned so far):

- Kendall Mint cake: Three ingredients- Sugar, glucose syrup, oil of peppermint. Quick energy boost, doesn't make me thirsty, doesn't freeze, beautifully simple. Hillary took it to the summit of Everest in 1953.

- Gookinaid: How can you go wrong with a name like that? An electrolyte replacement drink, not an energy drink. Favorite flavor- red.

-CC

you know the late and possibly great don whilians said, "half of hard climbing is hard drinking!"

maybe thats what is keeping me off of hard climbs, i need to suck down a couple of can of liquid courage.

a couple of cans of olde english should out you over the top pretty quick. i know i've made several requests to the index town store to stock cans, but as of yet they only have bottles and fine selection at that.

[This message has been edited by erik (edited 12-14-2000).]