Mountie Alert - Vantage 9/20 - 9/21

Toast

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the Mazamas pull this crap and cork entire climbing areas. They hung ropes and just let them sit so they could garantee they had the area to themselves. You have the right... just know you WILL be pissing people off.

We were at Smiff last weekend (along with 12 bazillion other people) and went off to the Marsupials to seek some solitude. Oops, it was full of Mazamas! But they were nice, and a couple of 'em were nice to look at.

Folks, there will be several Mountaineers parties in Vantage 9/20 & 9/21. Lots of traffic on the easier routes.

- Everett Mountaineers Self Rescue (7 students)

- Everett Mountaineers Sport Climbing (9 students)

- Tacoma Mountaineers sport Climbing ? (16 students)

All will likely be aiming for the easier bolted routes around the Feathers, Sunshine Wall, Riverview, Green Wall.

This is thread is aimed to be a heads up on heavy traffic.

Hey Mounties!

When you climb stuff like this at Vantage (pictured below), you endorse its environmental trashing by sport-climbers. Don't even pretend you have an environmental conscience when you teach courses in such things. Proud of yourselves????

[img:center]http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/uploads/10147/Vantage_attrocity_1_.jpg[/img]

(And it case you haven't figured it out, the red-circles indicate permanent alterations to the landscape in the form of bolts....and there are even more on those "routes" in addition to those indicated.)

Hey Raindawg, when you live in a house, or work in an office, eat your frosted flakes, fly in an airplane to go rob another grave, or just buy something, you are trashing the environment! Stuff just doesn't come from nowhere!

That computer you are using is made of plastic. Plastic comes from oil and natural gas. That comes from digging in the ground, and involves metal tubing which also comes from the ground. Making that tubing requires energy which comes from a river dam. That is made from concrete. You know where that comes from? The ground! To take that concrete there it requires gas. You know where that comes from? The ground, again! Of course to mold that concrete you need forms, which are either made from metal or wood... the same kind of wood your house is made of. You know where that wood comes from? The forest that once surrounded your crags!

Blah!Ba!Blah!

:yawn: :yawn:

Yo! RainDawg/Dwayner/Iceman/Don

Why don’t you use that Photoshop program to manipulate grave rob’n photos’ instead of boring us with your useless drivel?

As far as the mountainsteers go, a lot of climbers learn the ropes through them and I don’t mind sharing the crag with them so they can teach climbing… Hey the coulee is a big place I just go climb something else, I climbed at the coulee last weekend and only saw 2 climbers at the wall were we were at, we hooked up later for dinner and :brew: around the fire pit

please Raindawg send all future crotchety old men :cry: sniveling and wining to my complaint dept.

cpf.jpg

Folks, there will be several Mountaineers parties in Vantage 9/20 & 9/21. Lots of traffic on the easier routes.

- Everett Mountaineers Self Rescue (7 students)

- Everett Mountaineers Sport Climbing (9 students)

- Tacoma Mountaineers sport Climbing ? (16 students)

All will likely be aiming for the easier bolted routes around the Feathers, Sunshine Wall, Riverview, Green Wall.

This is thread is aimed to be a heads up on heavy traffic.

Hey Mounties!

When you climb stuff like this at Vantage (pictured below), you endorse its environmental trashing by sport-climbers. Don't even pretend you have an environmental conscience when you teach courses in such things. Proud of yourselves????

[img:center]http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/uploads/10147/Vantage_attrocity_1_.jpg[/img]

(And it case you haven't figured it out, the red-circles indicate permanent alterations to the landscape in the form of bolts....and there are even more on those "routes" in addition to those indicated.)

STFU :wave:

Hey Raindawg, when you live in a house, or work in an office, eat your frosted flakes, fly in an airplane to go rob another grave, or just buy something, you are trashing the environment! Stuff just doesn't come from nowhere!....That computer you are using is made of plastic. Plastic comes from oil and natural gas…

I guess, then, that it’s O.K. to go out and trash everything, eh?, including your own climbing environment....manipulate it all because you can. I think you know better than that.

Why don’t you use that Photoshop program to manipulate grave rob’n photos’ instead of boring us with your useless drivel?

Yo! Lucky/what’s your real name? I’m not here for the sole purpose of entertaining YOU.

JON and “LUCKY”…your comments about “grave robbing” are utterly IGNORANT. I certainly would expect something more sophisticated than that from Jon. And “Lucky”…what do you do for a living that we can ridicule on a climbing web-site?

I suggest that your snotty comments about my profession are based on sheer envy. By the way, my next archaeological expedition to Egypt’s Valley of the Kings takes place this fall. I expect that it will be as exciting and successful as all the others.

Enjoy your cubicles.

i truly envy your job from my office (they let me from my cubicle last year)

i'm just saying that it truly is a matter of perspective. while i wouldn't try to compare say....the great pyramids to the columns of Vantage, the fact is that humankind has had a huge impact on our natural landscape. in the eyes of some (such as yourself) it has been a ruinous impact. in the eyes of others it is a magnificent tomb carved from stone or a fun, bolt protected arete.

anyway, carry on the good fight! as we both well know, our few words here won't have a significant impact on either the natural decay of all things man-made and their return to a "natural state", nor will they stop the bolts. And as an advocate for your point of view, I admire your tirelessness! I also wish on some days that my work took me outdoors.

Hold on, I think my "give a shit what you say meter" may have just registered a tick........

Nope, :provoke: carry on Don.

BTW, what Jon said goes for me too. Inert metal in stone does NO environmental harm. It's all the folks milling around on the ground that hurts the plants and wears the soil. You gonna start killing them off to improve the environment? :provoke:

Hey Raindawg, when you live in a house, or work in an office, eat your frosted flakes, fly in an airplane to go rob another grave, or just buy something, you are trashing the environment! Stuff just doesn't come from nowhere!....That computer you are using is made of plastic. Plastic comes from oil and natural gas…

I guess, then, that it’s O.K. to go out and trash everything, eh?, including your own climbing environment....manipulate it all because you can. I think you know better than that.

Yo! Lucky/what’s your real name? I’m not here for the sole purpose of entertaining YOU.

JON and “LUCKY”…your comments about “grave robbing” are utterly IGNORANT. I certainly would expect something more sophisticated than that from Jon. And “Lucky”…what do you do for a living that we can ridicule on a climbing web-site?

I suggest that your snotty comments about my profession are based on sheer envy. By the way, my next archaeological expedition to Egypt’s Valley of the Kings takes place this fall. I expect that it will be as exciting and successful as all the others.

Enjoy your cubicles.

I like Egyptology and admire what you do and think it is important. I was just jerking your chain.

Let me try this from a different angle. Everything we do in our life has an environmental impact, absolutely everything. But 1000 years from now when those bolts at Vantage are lying on the ground after the rock has been eaten away by acid rain from the rotten corpse of what was once a marvel of life and evolution aka our planet Earth, maybe in hindsight from the heavens looking down, or wherever your beliefs put you, you will realize that the energy in your war against bolts was maybe misdirected and could have been focused on something a little more important.

BTW, as this thread appears to have been victimized by a random and repetitive jackass DAWG derailment, before it goes to spray (ie, bolts are go, no, bolts are bad, ie:

"Bolts are good..and you're an asshole"

"bad...and you're an asshole too"

"no you are. ..."

"No-you!"

"Thats what you are"

"am not..."

"am too..."

........I wanted to say this for all of us: THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP TOAST!

By the way, my next archaeological expedition to Egypt’s Valley of the Kings takes place this fall.

You can not see the hypocrisy here? The Valley of the Kings is itself a blight on the natural environment. Men raped the rock there carving stairs, hallways, and rooms in the earth.

Then when the earth reclaimed this land, men came again to rape the rock again. And you are participating in this carnage.

And you cry your crocodile tears about bolts? :noway:

You can not see the hypocrisy here? The Valley of the Kings is itself a blight on the natural environment. Men raped the rock there carving stairs, hallways, and rooms in the earth.

Then when the earth reclaimed this land, men came again to rape the rock again. And you are participating in this carnage.

And you cry your crocodile tears about bolts? :noway:

Holy hell....I agree with KKK.