Mountie Alert - Vantage 9/20 - 9/21

Toast

Folks, there will be several Mountaineers parties in Vantage 9/20 & 9/21. Lots of traffic on the easier routes.

- Everett Mountaineers Self Rescue (7 students)

- Everett Mountaineers Sport Climbing (9 students)

- Tacoma Mountaineers sport Climbing ? (16 students)

All will likely be aiming for the easier bolted routes around the Feathers, Sunshine Wall, Riverview, Green Wall.

This is thread is aimed to be a heads up on heavy traffic.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks, there will be several Mountaineers parties in Vantage 9/20 & 9/21. Lots of traffic on the easier routes.

All will likely be aiming for the easier bolted routes around the Feathers, Sunshine Wall, Riverview, Green Wall.

So the Mountaineers are teaching sport-climbing, eh?

I guess they've lost their environmental moral authority.

Hey Mounties: even though you don't apparently have a clean-climbing ethic, at least pick-up after yourselves while you tacitly endorse the wide-spread installation of artificial anchors in an area that could do well without them.

P.S. First come, first serve.

I've seen the Mazamas pull this crap and cork entire climbing areas. They hung ropes and just let them sit so they could garantee they had the area to themselves. You have the right... just know you WILL be pissing people off.

Thanks for the heads up.

I wasn't planning to go to Vantage that weekend anyway. But if I were considering it, having info like this would be helpful in perhaps redirecting me elsewhere.

I, for one, appreciate these public service announcements and hope you'll continue to alert folks when you know of big events like this that might impact personal climbers in the area.

Hey Mikester, Vantage is big enough to absorb the 32 mounties that will be there. If you're over there I'm sure there will be plenty for you to climb. Especially since I'm pretty sure the self-rescue class will be off on some god-forsaken, hasn't-seen-an-ascent-since-Bill-Robbins, chossy POS routes. So if anything they'll be doing the community a favor by cleaning some of the loose shit off.

Unless you're desperate to do laps on "Updrafts to Heaven" or spend a few hours sieging "Where the Sidewalk Ends"... then you may have to wait a bit.

I personally won't be in the area and am not upset about it at all. I'm just saying there will likely be some folks annoyed at the monopolization of the "easier bolted routes around the Feathers, Sunshine Wall, Riverview, Green Wall", AKA the popular newbie routes. I say have at it... just be aware of others.

Thanks for the heads up.

I wasn't planning to go to Vantage that weekend anyway. But if I were considering it, having info like this would be helpful in perhaps redirecting me elsewhere.

I, for one, appreciate these public service announcements and hope you'll continue to alert folks when you know of big events like this that might impact personal climbers in the area.

"public service announcements" ? WTF

EVERYONE, PLEASE BEND OVER AND GRAB YOUR ANKLES EN MASSE

Thanks for the heads up.

"public service announcements" ? WTF

EVERYONE, PLEASE BEND OVER AND GRAB YOUR ANKLES EN MASSE

You're probably right. Hey Toast, keep the heads up to yourself next time so you don't start any bad RuM(o)Rs. :crosseye: