HELL YEAH BABY!

jon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now why can't kids these days look up to a truly heroic figure like Armstrong instead of emulating sleaze-bag, foul-mouthed rap spewers or other lightweight pseudo-role-models? These guys on the Tour de France are riding full-speed for up to 120 miles often over brutal mountainous terrain for like 20 days in a row. I'm embarassed to admit it but they make most climbers and Ironman triathletes look like real wussies! If you aren't watching it, there is live coverage of it several times daily on the Outdoor Life Network and elsewhere. Grab some athletic inspiration while it lasts!

- Dwayner...humbled by a bunch of skinny guys on bicycles.

Thank God for OLN, too. Now we get to see the real deal instead of CBS's attempts to "personalize" the sport for the masses. Watching the Alpe d'Huez climb last night I started to wonder what you can really call Armstrong. Superhuman doesn't cut it. The other guys on the Tour are superhuman, and look what he does in comparison to them.

I miss Pantani this year, too. I believe that the French were seriously trying to fill the podiums with more of their national riders. It has still been a great spectacle this year, though.

Let's not forget that at one point this man only had a 20% chance to live and from that he has come back a better bike rider and human being than pre-cancer. I am a sucker for comebacks and this will go down as one of the epic comebacks of all time. In his book he talks about riding his bike during chemo and being passed by an old lady on a mountain bike!

[This message has been edited by jblakley (edited 07-19-2001).]

You wanna see a REAL man? Lance Armstong, all American, is now placed 3rd in the Tour de France. You wanna see a guy make all of your 5.14 sport climbing/peak baggin'/big wallin' heroes look like total pansies? Watch him smoke through the Pyranees in the next few days. I've never been into that bicycle racing scene myself although I do the mountain biking and triathlon stuff occasionally so it ain't like I'm promoting my big sport. I just started watching this stuff this year and some of the guys are amazing and inspirational not matter what sport your concentrating on.

I shaved my legs during college one quarter 'cause I was taking an athletic training class and I was too damn cheap to buy pre-rap for when I was the guinea pig practicing ankle and knee taping jobs. Damn are my legs white, glad to say I let the hair grow back after that.