Alex Honnold Free solos Regular Route on HD

EWolfe

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive, more so because of his age. Most folks in their early 20s lack the mental discipline to pull-off something like this. One as to wonder what he'll be doing when he gets a bit older. Side note, I have to imagine that it is really fun to climb like this, walk up to a monster route on half-dome and cruise to the summit before lunch.

i don't quite follow your thinking here, g-spotter, you claim that sponsorship caused dean potter to solo delicate arch? where does personal responsibility come in to play? lots of climbers have been sponsored and haven't soloed delicate arch, so my thought is that maybe dean potter should be held accountable for what dean potter does.

i hope we do see photos and dvds of this remarkable solo effort, and i hope alex honnold gets some sponsorships (if that is what he wants).

Some climbers get sponsored for climbing the hardest routes, and some get sponsored for climbing the fastest, and some get sponsored for soloing.

Personally I think soloing is rad but not for money. When soloing is tied to cash, judgement is compromised and bad things can result.

So far Alex seems to have avoided the trap of having a pro photographer and video crew along to document his solos and sell them afterwards (no shots of him soloing Moonlight Butt for instance) and I hope he maintains that.

whether judgment is compromised depends on whether the individual in question has good judgment to begin with, and that is something only time will tell.

however, i think this sort of event is high profile and is going to mean that alex honnold will likely be seen in more magazine ads in the future.

What up, SolMan?

4 hours - one response.

Yah, not a big deal to you NW hardmen.

Cheers, E

can't have much of an opinion on a climb i've never done

while i solo a lot, i try to remind myself not to compare what i solo to others, or even what i'm soloign today to what i've soloed in the past - the shit scares me, so i try to keep it fun and non-competitive

i couldn't begin to imagine even freeing, let alone soloing, 5.12 - i'd no more compare myself to this guy than to lance armstrong or any other athletic mutant :)

It's cool but more to the point, are we going to see any photos or video of this, especially in ads or DVDs? I hope not. That (sponsorship cash for boldness) is the start of the slippery slope that led Dean Potter from his French-free solo of Half Dome to Delicate Arch.

Why is that a slippery slope? You sound like he did something wrong.