Finally. God Defined.

tvashtarkatena

write each letter of the alphabet on small peices of paper and throw them in the air, whats the chance that they will land in perfect alphabetical order? The chance of that actually happening is WAY more likely than our world coming together by random chance... just my 2 cents

I like that one! Good job!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that a faith in God and a quest for knowledge using scientific method are mutually exclusive, but throwing up one's arms and using "God" to explain what is not yet known is certainly a cop-out--one that even God would not condone.

Do you disagree then with Sarah Palin's description of the Iraq War as a mission from God?

If she said it: yes. Provide an full, unedited quote from a commonly accepted neutral source.

Will this suffice? Or do you need a notarized transcript? Really, all this is pretty common knowledge now.

I don't think that a faith in God and a quest for knowledge using scientific method are mutually exclusive, but throwing up one's arms and using "God" to explain what is not yet known is certainly a cop-out--one that even God would not condone.

Do you disagree then with Sarah Palin's description of the Iraq War as a mission from God?

If she said it: yes. Provide an full, unedited quote from a commonly accepted neutral source.

Will this suffice? Or do you need a notarized transcript? Really, all this is pretty common knowledge now.

So where's the video? Why no link to it in the story?

I also don't understand why it is people feel the need to attack those of us who believe in God. If you want to state what you believe in, great, that is your God given right. You can believe how you choose, and tell us all if you choose. Why is it people must call christians "weak minded" and "lost" on top of all the other horrid stuff that is posted?

I know their are people who call themselves "christians" who do the same to non-believers, or anyone who thinks differently (ex: Westboro Baptist Church), but this is not what the Bible teaches us, and anyone who does such while claiming to be a follower of Christ should read His Word a little closer.

I respect you all for your beliefs, or in some cases lack of beliefs. I would have no problem climbing with any of you, or being friends and hanging out. If I starting talking to you about Christ, feel free to tell me your not interested, and I will quit. I don't feel the need to be attacked though.

So tell me, and this is for those who do attack us verbally (or in this case written-ly) Why the need? Can you not post your views, and just say you don't understand how christians can believe in God, without making it personal?

Would you attack someone else with a different belief in the same way? How about homosexuals? Or Buddhists? I don't believe anyone should be put down or attacked because of something they believe in. Why do you feel the need to do so?

I try never to denagrade anyone for their thoughts or beliefs whatever and however different they are from my own.

As far as your quote "or in some cases lack of beliefs" isn't that a put down to folks who don't have the same beliefs as you?? If someone doesn't believe in your explanation of God then they don't have beliefs. Perhpas you would like to rephrase what you said so it doesn't "personally attack" others.

Haven't seen it. Seriously. The text version reads more like she's "asking" for prayers, not laying claim to God's favor.

You want to play semantic games? Fine, I'll go as far as to say that it's open to some interpretation. Regardless, whether she means "Bush is sending our soldiers on a mission from God" or "pray that Bush is sending our soldiers on a mission from God", the implications are equally disturbing. In either case it's explicit that Bush is acting or has the means to act according to God's Will. The sheer fuck-upedness of that in itself should make most people want to wet their pants. But it raises even more important questions about how and where democratic principles and practices enter into the picture with a world-view like that. As a woman of God, will Sarah Palin then be acting in accordance with God's Will? As simply as I can put it, I don't want someone's personal understanding of their God and his/her/it's Will imposed over what should be (has supposedly been designed to be) the open processes of democratic governance. When politicians claim to be acting in accordance with or claim they want to act in accordance with their (remember us, the ones that don't believe in your God, but are citizens just the same?) God, they place their beliefs and their policy decisions above their duty to represent all of us. Not just the 51% dumb superstitious clucks that elected them. Is that clear enough? Any of this ringing a bell? High school civics? Liberal democracy? Hello?

I hope that my new theosophy brings comfort to those who may have previously been unable to reconcile a perfect, divine diety with a pre-f&*ked, dive reality.

Having read your drivel for months, I've concluded that you are coming to a close tie for the most ignorant guy to post on this site although with a grander vocabulary and a much meaner spirit (I won't mention ubiquitous #1 who is constantly ridiculed here on a daily basis). I suggest you spray less, read more theology, philosophy and physics and perhaps get off the computer more and enjoy the outdoors. Really...you don't seem to know much about which you babble...it's very, very shallow. Good luck, dude.

I hope that my new theosophy brings comfort to those who may have previously been unable to reconcile a perfect, divine diety with a pre-f&*ked, dive reality.

Having read your drivel for months, I've concluded that you are coming to a close tie for the most ignorant guy to post on this site although with a grander vocabulary and a much meaner spirit (I won't mention ubiquitous #1 who is constantly ridiculed here on a daily basis). I suggest you spray less, read more theology, philosophy and physics and perhaps get off the computer more and enjoy the outdoors. Really...you don't seem to know much about which you babble...it's very, very shallow. Good luck, dude.

"that's like, your opinion, man"

The.Big.Lebowski.1998.Screenshot.2.jpg

I also don't understand why it is people feel the need to attack those of us who believe in God. If you want to state what you believe in, great, that is your God given right. You can believe how you choose, and tell us all if you choose. Why is it people must call christians "weak minded" and "lost" on top of all the other horrid stuff that is posted?

I know their are people who call themselves "christians" who do the same to non-believers, or anyone who thinks differently (ex: Westboro Baptist Church), but this is not what the Bible teaches us, and anyone who does such while claiming to be a follower of Christ should read His Word a little closer.

I respect you all for your beliefs, or in some cases lack of beliefs. I would have no problem climbing with any of you, or being friends and hanging out. If I starting talking to you about Christ, feel free to tell me your not interested, and I will quit. I don't feel the need to be attacked though.

So tell me, and this is for those who do attack us verbally (or in this case written-ly) Why the need? Can you not post your views, and just say you don't understand how christians can believe in God, without making it personal?

Would you attack someone else with a different belief in the same way? How about homosexuals? Or Buddhists? I don't believe anyone should be put down or attacked because of something they believe in. Why do you feel the need to do so?

I try never to denagrade anyone for their thoughts or beliefs whatever and however different they are from my own.

As far as your quote "or in some cases lack of beliefs" isn't that a put down to folks who don't have the same beliefs as you?? If someone doesn't believe in your explanation of God then they don't have beliefs. Perhpas you would like to rephrase what you said so it doesn't "personally attack" others.

um, no. i'm simply stating a fact. some people really have no beliefs one way or the other. whether they have searched, and found nothing, or just don't care. so no, i am not putting them down just by saying they have no beliefs. i will not put someone down for not believeing, or for believing something i think doesn't make any sense, or whatever.

if you took that as an attack, i am sorry, but it was in no way. just pointing out a fact of life.

"that's like, your opinion, man"

The.Big.Lebowski.1998.Screenshot.2.jpg

It's mildly amusing, but mostly pathetic that Dawg, whose only role in my universe is that of a reliable and apparently willing butt for a whole lot of web forum jokes, actually believes his opinions carry any weight with me whatsoeover. Conceit, for sure, but is there a more specific term for that?

um, no. i'm simply stating a fact. some people really have no beliefs one way or the other. whether they have searched, and found nothing, or just don't care. so no, i am not putting them down just by saying they have no beliefs. i will not put someone down for not believeing, or for believing something i think doesn't make any sense, or whatever.

if you took that as an attack, i am sorry, but it was in no way. just pointing out a fact of life.

And I'm simply stating that you're a typical Christian moron who cannot grasp the beliefs of others, so you negate them. Standard 'Our Way or the Highway' (Low way, actually) Christian drivel from a genetically incurious, uninquisitive, incredibly conceited, and fortunately minority sector of humanity.

Want a 'fact'? You're ignorant. And don't give us the nice guy 'oh, sorry that you don't have any beliefs...that was very unchristlike of me to mention it' bullshit that reinforces your sense of piety. You're a fucking prick, too.

I happen to think your cultish believes are ridiculous, but I don't reduce folks like yourself to the level of an animal without any, or assume that you just don't care enough to look. My friends have some kooky ideas, too, but they're important to them so who am I to mess with that? What I object about cunts like you is that you proscribe your fucked up beliefs for all of humanity. That's where I draw the line.

I have plenty of Christian friends; the tolerant kind. They know and accept that I'm a ranting atheist, as they would accept that someone is Hindu, Buhddist, or Raelian (sp?). And I don't rail against them, because it's not the belief in God I object to, its the belief that there is only one truth on the matter and that everyone needs to subscribe to it. And they object to your brand of cultism every bit as much as I do.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

write each letter of the alphabet on small peices of paper and throw them in the air, whats the chance that they will land in perfect alphabetical order? The chance of that actually happening is WAY more likely than our world coming together by random chance... just my 2 cents

i'm afraid that this line of thinking (or not) is pretty pathetic. i suppose that it seems pretty unlikely as well that a mountain range could come to be where once there was seafloor.

was it you who put 'ole pigweed in the mulligan stew?

i'm afraid that this line of thinking (or not) is pretty pathetic. i suppose that it seems pretty unlikely as well that a mountain range could come to be where once there was seafloor.

Please see my previous 'banana' proof for ID. And you're right, Marc, that little Reader's Digest sojourn into the trite was worth about 2 cents. Just when you think it can't get any dumber...speaking of that, did any of you catch Palin's interview? WOAH. THE TRAILER PARK REPRESENTS.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Haven't seen it. Seriously. The text version reads more like she's "asking" for prayers, not laying claim to God's favor.

You want to play semantic games? Fine, I'll go as far as to say that it's open to some interpretation. Regardless, whether she means "Bush is sending our soldiers on a mission from God" or "pray that Bush is sending our soldiers on a mission from God", the implications are equally disturbing. In either case it's explicit that Bush is acting or has the means to act according to God's Will. The sheer fuck-upedness of that in itself should make most people want to wet their pants. But it raises even more important questions about how and where democratic principles and practices enter into the picture with a world-view like that. As a woman of God, will Sarah Palin then be acting in accordance with God's Will? As simply as I can put it, I don't want someone's personal understanding of their God and his/her/it's Will imposed over what should be (has supposedly been designed to be) the open processes of democratic governance. When politicians claim to be acting in accordance with or claim they want to act in accordance with their (remember us, the ones that don't believe in your God, but are citizens just the same?) God, they place their beliefs and their policy decisions above their duty to represent all of us. Not just the 51% dumb superstitious clucks that elected them. Is that clear enough? Any of this ringing a bell? High school civics? Liberal democracy? Hello?

if your real reasons might not add up, or they clearly stem either from a desire for personal gain or from a simplistic view of how you wish the world worked (but doesn't), then you just invoke the almighty and the discussion is at an end. that usually works, especially in this country.