Ryan Triplett Accident near Mazama

Blake

http://www.omakchronicle.com/nws/n080909a.shtml

Seattle climber dies in accident near Mazama

A 31-year-old Seattle man died in a hiking accident near the Goat Wall in the Methow Valley last weekend.

Okanogan County sheriff Frank Rogers said his office received a call around 1 p.m. Monday, Sept. 8, from the climber's wife that Ryan Alan Murray Triplett was overdue from a hiking trip in the Mazama area.

Triplett, who is an avid rock climber and cyclist, was supposed to be in the Goat Wall area off of Lost River Road out of Mazama, said Rogers.

Hikers in the area discovered Triplett's vehicle and his dog at the base of a cliff, the sheriff said.

The sheriff's office, Okanogan County Search and Rescue and Aero Methow Rescue Service were called to the area.

At about 2:30 p.m. Triplett’s body was located in a rocky area of what is called "Prime Rib," said Rogers.

"It appears that Triplett had been climbing alone and had fallen, possibly sometime on Sunday," Rogers said. "Rescuers were able to climb into the area and recover the body of Triplett."

Family members were notified Monday afternoon.

He posted here as "RyanTriplett".

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peace and love be to his family and friends.

Ditto.

Sad to see a good person who is also a good climber check out. For many of us, this really means we are much closer to that edge than we think or believe. ... I'm planning on hanging it out a bit this weekend, if I don't start spraying Monday, it's not any consolation to my family that I bit off more than I could chew and checked out earlier than I should have. In my mind, it's still better than sitting at home getting old and fat watching the ball games on TV. We all go, most of us can't determine the when. My father died when I was 18 mo. old from Brain Cancer. Not a fast or happy experience for anyone concerned. I've been fortunate enough that I've already gotten 18 solid and great YEARS with my youngest.

Wish I could have climbed with Ryan, sounds like a good fella, I don't wish this on anyone, and hope that Ryan's family can find some small peace or comfort in the joy he obvious got out of life. Such sadness should not be visited on those so young--- ever. Wishing the best for those who loved Ryan.

Hey all.

I'm a good friend of Ryan's wife and will be seeing her shortly. I will print out your condolences at a later date and give them to her family.

Ryan was amazing, as is Jen. They are probably the most perfect people I know. The cycling and climbing community here in the NW are in serious mourning right now.

I think the hardest part will be for Jen. She just won track Nationals in California this last weekend. To go from such an emotional high to this low is just awful.

Many prayers and much love to Jen and her family.

bps

What a terrible loss. Ryan was a great guy and a very strong climber. He used to school me on those cracks at Stone Gardens and in the bouldering cave at his house. Every time I saw him he had a new story about a great adventure. My deepest sympathies to his wife and family members.

Ryan on Sagitarius (photo by "jonah" on mountainproject.com):

105797190_medium_051356.jpg