or the truth might get in......

Peter_Puget

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both. And you know, I say this too as the daughter of a science teacher. Growing up with being so privileged and blessed to be given a lot of information on, on both sides of the subject – creationism and evolution. It's been a healthy foundation for me. But don't be afraid of information and let kids debate both sides.

I agree, and while we are at it we should be teaching kids that the earth is round, or it could be flat, that disease is caused by microorganisms, or by miasmas and bad humors, that 1 + 1 =2 or 1 + 1 =3.

She did not demand that books be banned from the Wasilla library. Some of the books on a widely circulated list were not even in print at the time. The librarian has said Palin asked a "What if?" question, but the librarian continued in her job through most of Palin's first term.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: "What if I wanted to ban some books? How would I go about doing that?"

FSM. Teach all three.

Creationism (Intelligent Design) was ruled to be purely religiion, not science, and it is soundly unconstitutional per the PA ruling a couple of years back.

For anyone actually interested in the facts of the case, rent the documentary "Evolution on Trial". Both side's arguments are explained in great detail. The jugde, BTW, was a conservative appointed by a R. president. The ID folks didn't just lose, they were completely destroyed and discredited, so much so that the judge was compelled to hand down a ruling that was much more far reaching than the anti-ID side could have ever hoped for.

Apparently, The Incubator is not aware of this, but, then again, she doesn't seem to be aware of much of anything at all.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

i teach creationism at the same time as darwinism, but then i teach history, so it's kinda necessary in order to explain the emergence of evolutionary theory - science belongs in a history class, and certainly there's a place for history in a science class too, but it's deeply retarded to spend more than a class on creationist "theories." at any rate, to teach folks, you have to address there preconceptions and little-fairy beliefs, so it's daft to totally ignore the genesis myth.

The PA case focused on the required purchase and teaching form ID "science" texts and the presentation of ID as "science".

As long as you throw some old bones and purple powder in the air and yell "Oooga Boooga!" before addressing ID, I think it's OK under the US Constitution.

THe larger question is whether or not we should expose the tender young promise of America's future to Ivan, with or without ID.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

The PA case focused on the required purchase and teaching form ID "science" texts and the presentation of ID as "science".

As long as you throw some old bones and purple powder in the air and yell "Oooga Boooga!" before addressing ID, I think it's OK under the US Constitution.

naw, i usually just start w/ my standard joke - "you ever notice that people who dont' believe in evolution look really unevolved? big, furry hands, lumpy skulls.. 'i believe god made me in one day!' 'hmmm, well, look's like he rushed it!'"

let's see, yup, it's been a year or more since the board had a good old-fashioned evolution rumble... :P

It is also quite daft to totally ignore the various issues there are to straight evolution. Hounding those who think they have a solution to the conundrum harks back to the days of those who believed the Earth was flat and burned those that did not concur.

You've just demonstrated that you don't know jack shit about evolution...but we've been here before, Seahawk.

"It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science." [Darwin]

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." [Voltaire]

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism." [Einstein]

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true." [Nietzsche]

"I cannot believe in the immortality of the soul.... No, all this talk of an existence for us, as individuals, beyond the grave is wrong. It is born of our tenacity of life – our desire to go on living … our dread of coming to an end." [Edison]

"The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma." [Lincoln]

"Religion is a byproduct of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity?" [Arthur C. Clarke]

"Religions are all alike – founded upon fables and mythologies." [Thomas Jefferson]

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile." [Kurt Vonnegut]

"Religion is based . . . mainly on fear . . . fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand. . . . My own view on religion is that of Lucretius. I regard it as a disease born of fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race." [bertrand Russell]

It seems you are unable to answer the question in a way that would be defensible. I thought you might go with inorganic start (liposomes)but that isn't really all that defensible; certainly points to a Intelligent Design. But why not organic? Lets see. There is outer space (on the coat-tails of comets) but that still doesn't answer the question of how life started. Then there is the old "primordial soup" theory. Just mix a few key ingredients (UV light, amino acids, right temp, right PH and BOOM! Cells.

So tell me. Which one do you subscribe to?

It seems you are unable to answer the question in a way that would be defensible. I thought you might go with inorganic start (liposomes)but that isn't really all that defensible; certainly points to a Intelligent Design. But why not organic? Lets see. There is outer space (on the coat-tails of comets) but that still doesn't answer the question of how life started. Then there is the old "primordial soup" theory. Just mix a few key ingredients (UV light, amino acids, right temp, right PH and BOOM! Cells.

If you still separate the universe into "alive" and "not alive", as if there is some magic ON switch, and simplistic idea which was abandoned many decades ago, and you don't have a clue about sub-cellular biology, then you're too ignorant to discuss the subject with anyone. Again, educate yourself so you can speak intelligently about it. There is a reason why more than a paragraph is required to explain it, so take some personal responsibility and go out there and get 'em, tiger.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

If you still separate the universe into "alive" and "not alive", as if there is some magic ON switch, and simplistic idea which was abandoned many decades ago, and you don't have a clue about sub-cellular biology, then you're too ignorant to discuss the subject with anyone. Again, educate yourself so you can speak intelligently about it. There is a reason why more than a paragraph is required to explain it, so take some personal responsibility and go out there and get 'em, tiger.

So that's a no?

She did not demand that books be banned from the Wasilla library. Some of the books on a widely circulated list were not even in print at the time. The librarian has said Palin asked a "What if?" question, but the librarian continued in her job through most of Palin's first term.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: "What if I wanted to ban some books? How would I go about doing that?"

I hear a lot of lefties want to ban the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn because Mr. Clemens (that racist pig!) uses the "n word" too much.

ARe you still living in a cave??? There is evidence of microscopic life on Mars. Did the "intelligent designer" fairy start something over there and just give up??? And if this designer were intelligent, who made you?

You seem angry. Would you like to try and answer my question?

Come back in a couple of years after you've done your homework.

I hear a lot of lefties want to ban the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn because Mr. Clemens (that racist pig!) uses the "n word" too much.

Actually, no you haven't. The book was on banned lists, but not for that reason and not by that constituency.

Edited by tvashtarkatena