Wanted: Used Alpine Pack

Elvis

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Fromage:

How about a Bozeman-made Dana Designs Big Horn (frame size XL, for 20-24 inch torso), 3,900 cubic inches, top and side loader, dual daisy chains, compression panel for $150?

[rockband]

Not bozeman made anymore pal.

EDIT: I mean it's too bad they are not made in bozeman anymore. not that yours wasn't made there. It's just as companies grow the small batch quality sometimes goes out the window for large scale OEM manufacturing.

[ 11-22-2002, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: COL. Von Spanker ]

Yes Herr von Spanker, what you say is true. I was on a NOLS expedition this past summer in the Winds (34 days in the field) where most of my companions with Mexican-made Danas suffered a failure of one kind or another on their packs. I guess all packs are vulnerable when you are carrying 75 pounds in them for days on end, but my Bozeman Terraplane held up great.

It pisses me off that

a) the company moved

b) prices went up

c) quality went down

d) customer service dropped off the radar

Back in the Bozeman days you could slice holes in your pack, tear the zippers apart, melt holes in it, and let the snafflehounds eat it for lunch and the folks at Dana would fix it up nicely for you in a jiffy for a small fee. Now you get no love for your $460 piece of junk.

If Dr. Flash Amazing is not mistaken (and, really, would he be?), did Dana Designs not get bought out by K2 a few years back, hence the production shift and now sub-par product, as well as the rise of K2/Dana backpacks? Plus, Dana went and started Mystery Ranch, which is now where you'll find further techie innovation, bomber construction, exotic materials, and exorbitant (but worth it?) prices.