Please Recommend a Rainier Day Hike

SemoreJugs

I'm taking a non-climber to Rainier this weekend and would like to do a long day hike (snow travel fine / glacier no ) that's a bit off the beaten path.

I've climbed on the Emmons, DC, and Kautz routes and am familiar with those environs but want something different that's away from the crowds.

Any suggestions? The more variety the better. I'm thinking something on the NE side based out of Sunrise.

My partner is in good physical condition...

What is it like if you hike to the Mystic Camp?

All suggestions are welcome.

THANKS!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really want a "long" day hike, then Grand Park from Sunrise would work. Great views from Grand Park that people normally don't see. Of course... there's the short way to Grand Park from the Forest Service Road there by Lake Eleanor - but that wouldn't be a long hike then!

A not so long hike (and definitely not off the beaten path), but the best in my opinion out of Sunrise would be 3rd Burroughs Mountain. Hike out to the "end" of the trail at 2nd Burroughs, then take the path out to the 3rd bump. Can't beat the non-stop views.

Never done Mystic from Sunrise, but from the Carbon would be a long day - don't forget the road is closed at the Ranger Station.

Edited by knelson