TR Melakwa Pass

KaskadskyjKozak

I took my 10 year old up to Snoqualmie Pass on Monday, hoping for decent weather and a good hike.

The plan was to do a loop hike: Melakwa Lake/Melakwa Pass/Snow Lake and bike back to the Denny Creek TH.

We head up to Alpental around 9:30 and stashed our bikes. We then drove to Denny Creek TH, and started up at about 11. We made good time, arriving at Melakwa lake in just over 2 hours, with no rest stops. We stopped there and had lunch and a good rest before continuing on.

The boulder hopping was a little tougher for my son, and we got off the climbers "trail" a few times - I've never been up there. Most of the snow was gone by now, with just a few patches remaining. We topped out at the pass at just before 3 pm - a good 1.5 hours from the lake.

Melakwa_Pass_-_Sep_2008020.JPG

When we looked down we were surprised to see Chair Peak Lake was completely frozen over. Also, the terrain looked a bit sketchy, and the routefinding could have caused problems with little margin for error with sunset only 4.5 hours away. I could see Gem Lake, but wasn't sure how easy it would be to get around to the left side of it (my plan). Also, I couldn't be sure if there was a safe way to the right to drop down to Snow Lake earlier.

At that point I set down my camera and it slipped from my fingers and went spinning down to the snow about 1/2 down to Chair Peak Lake. Well, I guess I'd get to see how sketchy the terrain was. For me no problem, but I'd catch hell if my son got hurt, so that sealed the deal.

We turned around at 3:30 and got back to the car at 6:40, with a couple of rest stops along the way.

Then it was off to Jayberry's in North Bend for pizza.

Total elevation gain was around 3200 feet, and about 12+ miles round trip.

Edited by KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic