Tricouni/ Cloudburst road closed

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be flagged but it is not a bushwhack in any nasty sense. It is actually a super pleasant sub-alpine ramble and easy to follow and figure out even without a map or anything. For climbing Tricouni by the standard south scrambly ridge (which I think is the one in Matt Gunn's book) you are on the "wrong" side of the lakes/basin/ridge, but there is a way up onto the ridge, just takes a bit of poking and scrambling. From Chance Creek ascending the east side/ridge is probably more straightforward and fun, then descending the S side, scope your descent and your route back over the S ridge from above. But like I say, it is actually pleasant and intuitive terrain, cruisy 4th class at most. One of my favourite 1-day local alpine trips.

Is there at least a flagged trail from the head of Chance creek or is it a pure bushwack?

It's been three years since I was up there, but at the time you could drive (with 4wd-hc) to almost 1400m. From the end of the road there was an obvious trail (bordered with stones for 20 feet or so) heading into the trees. There was some flagging, but it's not really needed. 15 minutes of hiking brings you to a meadow and from there it's casual hiking to the lake below the south ridge. No more than 45 minutes from the end of the road to the lake.

There were massive cross ditches near the end of the road which would be impassable without high clearance, but it would only add 10 minutes of walking. With only 2wd, you might not be able to cross the creek at 1040m, which would add 2km of hiking.

Climbed the east ridge of Tricouni today. The road & trail are pretty much as I described above. 4WD/AWD with moderate clearance will get you to the end of the road. With only 2WD it would be tough to get past 1000m. The trail is even more obvious now than it was three years ago...easy to find and easy to follow.