[TR] Constance - South Chute 8/31/2008

olymand

Trip: Constance - South Chute

Date: 8/31/2008

Trip Report:

I see the Olympic skyline on almost every clear day and have always wanted to get up that high spot in the middle. As with most Olympic climbs from seattle, weather and travel hassle always seem to get in the way. A climbing partner asked if I could make it this weekend and we joined a couple of others Saturday morning at the trailhead. The Dosewallips road is washed out, so we brought bikes and rode up 4.5 or so miles to the TH. Took a leisurely hour, seemed like a gentle grade, road is in great shape. The hike up to the lake went fairly quick too. Maybe 2.5 hours, lots of elevation gain, open forest with a pretty waterfall half way up and some steep scrambling near the top. Lake constance is a pretty green lake and trout were jumping. Wish I'd brought some tackle. Started the climb at first light, the hike through the cats ears was straghtforward, and not too difficult finding the notch at the "minor e-w ridge." Snow levels were low, so we elected to try the so-called "terrible traverse" which was really quite benign in the absence of snow. We dropped down fromt eh e-w ridge to a snow patch and crossed it toward the main ridge and that is where we ran into a little trouble. First we went up and cliffed out, and then we went too far down. The entry to the traverse was found by descending a couple hundred feet from the notch and looking north straight across at a steep cliff butress. A small, scramble-able flake was the access to the ledges of the traverse. From there, the summit was an easy walk. We erred a bit at the summit, going left at the headwall and having to retrace a bit, but we managed to find the true route and scrambled the summit block. Some may prefer a rope for this section, it is true fourth class and a bit dodgy downclimbing. Although we had been promised some blue skies, we had cold weather and August snow flurries. Alas, couldn't see my house from the summit. Even with route finding issues and my pokey old self, we still made it back to camp by 3:30. The weather was still iffy, so we elected to pack up and booted out by 5. Passed a couple of guys in sneakers and tees at 6 PM about 7 miles and 4500 feet elevation from the trailhead. One was carrying a large styrofoam plane and the other was carrying a five iron and that was it for gear. WTF? (I think that's an appropriate acronym.)Probably the highlight of the trip was the ride down the road. Sweaty and with sore quads, we just sailed through cool early evening air back down the road. With the pack weight and a perfect grade, we just flew. I only wish it had lasted longer. It probably only took agout 10-15 minutes to cover the distance. A perfect ending to the trip.

Gear Notes:

Brought a couple of 30m 8mm ropes, harness, a few nuts--didn't leave the bag. Crampons also got a free ride. Ice axe was useful on hard snow, and trekking pole(s) were really useful from the lake to the road. Bicyle doesn't really need to be a full on mountain bike, just something that can ride on an unpaved road.

Approach Notes:

Quite slick in a couple of places above the river going up to the lake. Bring Bicycles, it is far and away the best way to do this trip.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...