Mt. Hood Resort Skiing

JRCO

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have three kids ages 10, 8, 5. We buy the Fusion Pass which lets you ski at Timberline and Ski Bowl. I rode up a lift at Willamette Ski Pass the first time we went skiing with the kids (that winter it was the only place with snow) with a guy involved with the Mount Hood Meadows Ski Team. He told me the snow and skiing is better at Meadows, but with kids he recommended starting out at Timberline so that's what we did and we haven't been disappointed. It's perfect for family skiing.

As for ski schools, Timberline has one and we were extremely happy with how they worked with our youngest. She isn't the easiest kid when separated from us and the instructors were great with her both emotionally and ski instruction wise. She'd gone to Mount Bachelor Ski School (which I personally think is the best around and where my other two learned) for three days when she was 4 but really didn't remember much, but was skiing everywhere on the mountain except the Palmer lift after a couple lessons with Timberline. (Caveat: she's a natural athlete with amazing balance who only took 30 seconds to adjust to no training wheels on her bike so the same results may not apply :) )

There is also a separate ski school that is independent of Timberline called Powderhounds. My friend has his two sons in that and has for years now. He says it's wonderful. We couldn't commit to that many Saturdays or Sundays in a row so the Timberline school worked better for us.

We never used the ski school at Ski Bowl. I think there is an independent ski school there also called Mogulbusters (Something like that). We had fun skiing there too. It's a small resort. Steeper than Timberline, and when the snow is good, it's great skiing! And when the weather is bad up at Timberline, it's a little more protected and easier on the kids so it's great to have that option.

I've never been to Meadows, so don't know anything about it.

Echo a lot of what Mel mentioned. I really like Ski Bowl (IF they get the snowfall). It's great because it's a quick trip from town (especially Clackamas) and it's relatively cheap. They have their own ski school (although I'm not sure how it compares to the others). Plus they're open until 11 Friday and Saturday. They also have terrain that goes from easy to relatively challeging with quite a few black runs.

Of course Meadows is awesome and Timberline has it's advantages too, but for a quick trip to ski after work or on a short time frame, I like Ski Bowl.

I got my start skiing with my family at timberline when I was about eight. It wasn't a bad place to learn and the lodge there was especially cool to me as a kid. I took a few lessons at timberline (mainly to occupy me and my sister while our parents skied) but didn't really get the hang of it from the instructors as I was a little nervous. My folks, avid skiers, realized we we're not having the best time on the slopes took me out and showed me how it was done and it was their patient instruction taught me the most. While timberline was great I never really fell in love with skiing until we finally went to meadows. I'll say meadows buttercup beats timberlines bunny slope any day I can't count how many laps I did on that one... hah good times. The beginner/intermediate terrain is great at meadows as well as the snow, well worth the extra drive imho!

I recommend the Fusion pass as well. The ski school--for kids only--at Ski Bowl is Mogulbusters and they really try hard to teach the kids and have a good time doing it. You also get the flexibility of skiing T-Line or Ski Bowl. You can also use the pass to ride the lift if you are going out of bounds for touring.

nice thread - here are my opinions:

Timberline: nice for kids and learning. The terrain is pretty mellow, so it can get boring for more advanced skiers, but it's probably good for families.

Ski Bowl: it can suffer from low elevation in mediocre snow years, and the lifts are slow. But, it's the closest & cheapest & least crowded. When the snow is good, I think it is the best bet. It's also the most convenient to get to for after-work skiing if you're a working stiff in portland like most of us.

Meadows: Probably the largest amount of fun/interesting terrain. But it's too expensive for day passes, and way too crowded on weekends (plus is an extra 20-30 minutes to get there in typical weekend traffic). So, I personally think it's only worth it if you get the season pass and can ski mid-week days all winter.

So I'd go with the Fusion pass too. You could do the ski school at either timberline or ski bowl, and then take the shuttle between the two if the snow conditions warrant.

Also, for side/back-country, I think Timberline & Ski bowl are much more accepting of people skinning inbounds, or using their lifts to access out-of-bounds areas. Meadows ski patrol is more adamantly against it.

Also, for side/back-country, I think Timberline & Ski bowl are much more accepting of people skinning inbounds, or using their lifts to access out-of-bounds areas. Meadows ski patrol is more adamantly against it.

Meadows is one of the only places I have gotten any shit from the ski patrollers about up-hill traffic.

Ski Bowl has some pretty cool lift served back country area, that you can skin up (Log road, etc) that is also avy controlled, so you can leave the shovel, beacon, probe gear at home.

Timberline has some of the better "high" access points for back country stuff above the palmer lift, which is pretty fun too.

Edited by Frikadeller

• 2 years later...

Was hoping to get some more info from locals.

Thinking about 2-3 days split between Timberline and Meadows and was looking for lodging recommendations.

Would like something closer to the slopes but not too expensive.

Any places to get discount lift tickets for either?

Thanks

Meadows is far away but has alot of lifts. If Ski Bowl has snow it is by far the best skiing for advanced skiers. One has been known to get 30-40 runs in a night there because the runs are short. The upper bowls are way fun. Timberline is great if you are a beginner but if you like steep anything, it can be a huge drag and a waste of money.

If it is cold enough, I would split my riding time between meadows and ski bowl. Head up to timberline for dinner one night - the lodge and summer camps are the redeeming qualities that timberline offers imo.

The Mount Hood Inn (Best Western)in Government Camp is an OK place to stay and has the pub right downstairs. I wouldn't say it is cheap though - bet it is 100-150/night. Maybe someone else can chime in on a better deal for lodging/tickets.

If you ski MHM excusively, staying near Hood River is an option or at Cooper Spur.

Meadows is only good if you can go mid-week. Otherwise it suxx. Heather gets skied out in a millisecond (if it's open) and you end up standing in line way too long with a bunch of entitled brats. Laps on jacks and pr are pretty damn fun though.

Ski Bowl is the place to be when it's cold and dumping.

Timberline can get boring but it's very scenic and has a great vibe. I have a lot of great memories there.

Meadows is only good if you can go mid-week. Otherwise it suxx. Heather gets skied out in a millisecond (if it's open) and you end up standing in line way too long with a bunch of entitled brats. Laps on jacks and pr are pretty damn fun though.

Ski Bowl is the place to be when it's cold and dumping.

Timberline can get boring but it's very scenic and has a great vibe. I have a lot of great memories there.

Change "Meadows" to "every ski resort ever." If you want to get away from the trust fund brats and get fresh tracks, go to the backcountry. Otherwise get over it.

Also, Timberline sucks.

hmm.. well im going to meadows today for the first time. other than falling lots a few times last year on a cheapo tele setup i picked up, the last time I skiied was almost two decades ago at nubsnob or boyne highlands in northern michigan..

hopefully being at meadows turns me into a trust fund brat.. the trust fund aspect of that would be so awesome!

Change "Meadows" to "every ski resort ever." If you want to get away from the trust fund brats and get fresh tracks, go to the backcountry. Otherwise get over it.

Funny, I haven't run into the meadows bullshit at ski bowl.

And if you throw on skins at the top of Palmer the patroller says "have fun wish I could join you".

If you showed up with skins at the top of Cascade you'd be put in prison.

We're coming from Seattle so would prefer not too drive too much each day.

Mainly interested because the snow report keeps saying Hood is getting powder while the local hills are getting wet snow.

Would probably schedule it so at least one day was a weekday.

We're both intermediate boarders and can easily spend a day on blue runs and be happy.

Best Western posted $140 weeknights and $170 weekends, a bit too much.

Prefer a room rather than bunks for this trip.

Also, Timberline sucks.

+1

The truth has been spoken...

You pick the wrong ski resorts. There's lots of them in the world, only a select few, mostly in the US, are filled with doucheholes.

Unfortunately the douche has now spilled over to "the backcountry" which every tomdickless and hairypussy is now "slaying". Backcountry now usually meaning some roadside wonder.

Meadows - best combo of terrain/altitude, an excess of attitude

Timberline - pretty flat, uninspiring terrain. If you are staying in Govy you can ski home.

Ski Bowl - short fun terrain, can get rain because of the altitude.

I doubt you'll find many deals until after New Years; this is the prime money making time for ski resorts in the US.

You pick the wrong ski resorts. There's lots of them in the world, only a select few, mostly in the US, are filled with doucheholes.

Unfortunately the douche has now spilled over to "the backcountry" which every tomdickless and hairypussy is now "slaying". Backcountry now usually meaning some roadside wonder.

Maybe I do pick the wrong resorts...It definitely has not been my experience that only a select few are off the hook shit holes on the weekends. We must really travel different paths since I rarely encounter hordes of "douches" while I am touring.

Maybe I do pick the wrong resorts...It definitely has not been my experience that only a select few are off the hook shit holes on the weekends. We must really travel different paths since I rarely encounter hordes of "douches" while I am touring.

I give. Your penis is bigger.

For $140 a night, I'd head north to Canada from Seattle. Definitely a longer drive to inland BC, but much better mountains than Hood. If you haven't been Revelstoke, Fernie or Nelson are all awesome.

For $140 a night, I'd head north to Canada from Seattle. Definitely a longer drive to inland BC, but much better mountains than Hood. If you haven't been Revelstoke, Fernie or Nelson are all awesome.

I've been contemplating this too but that is a longer drive.

We usually make a couple of trips to Mission Ridge which is just over a 3 hour drive. Was thinking of subbing Hood for one of those trips since it is probably a 4 hour drive.

Might not be smart though to drive to ski area(s) so close to a metro area. We like to get away from the crowds at the local hills like Stevens and Crystal.

Yeah, I think you've found your problem. If you're looking to find a cheap ski destination to get away from the crowds, Hood isn't your place.

Iain's descriptions of the Hood resorts are pretty accurate, in my opinion. But if you're looking to escape the crowds, drive further. head to BC, or anthony lakes.