Stranded by Spire Point

olyclimber

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These news reports give you just enough information to make very little sense. Where are they on Spire Point, exactly, for example? Why do they only have ONE sleeping bag (in such a remote place)? Why would they carry that ONE sleeping bag up a Grade I, short route? It's almost better to give no info than such incomplete info that raises more questions than answers.

Meanwhile, I wish the best for these folks.

that sucks they got out a phone call but didn't give the rescuers their exact location. Perhaps they didn't know it exactly. Hopefully they make themselves really visible.

I could see how an epic could begin once one person drops a bag full of gear. That's lame for anyone.

And why would they be going out there on such a crappy weather week?

everybody please remember that it is important to slag these people for poor judgment before we get information as to what really happened. knowing the facts will just confuse us and make it harder to demonstrate how much smarter we are.

:lmao: Are you suggesting that we're a tad late on starting our speculation thread?

It's almost better to give no info than such incomplete info that raises more questions than answers.

Meanwhile, I wish the best for these folks.

I for one would rather that unknowledgeable news people didn't decide for themselves which information should be withheld (aside from obvious ones like names, etc.) Would you prefer an article that said "an undisclosed number of people are stranded on an undisclosed location on an undisclosed route, with undisclosed gear."

I too hope they come out of this with nothing worse than a great epic tale. "No shit, there we were..."

Edited by Alpine_Tom

I for one would rather that unknowledgeable news people didn't decide for themselves which information should be withheld (aside from obvious ones like names, etc.) Would you prefer an article that said "an undisclosed number of people are stranded on an undisclosed location on an undisclosed route, with undisclosed gear."

I see your point, Tom -- but does the article that came out answer your questions about this incident much better than if it said an "undisclosed number of people are stranded on an undisclosed location on an undisclosed route, with undisclosed gear." In the end, it provides just enough info to raise a million questions & invite speculation.

And, are you suggesting that the "unknowledgeable media" DOESN'T decide for themselves what to edit out of their stories? Or do you think that they included all the facts that they had, minus the names?

Wow three parties hammered by weather on alpine routes in one week.

Note to self, pack hand warmers.

not to mention the Si Haystack mission ongoing right now... and I was remarking to myself how quiet it had been all summer...

Si Haystack? WTF? This is getting bizarre.

Edited by KaskadskyjKozak

Here's a "little more" knowledgeable media report regarding the still ongoing 'Spire Point Situation' than that earlier released.

2 hikers stranded on mountain ledge

04:07 PM PDT on Thursday, August 28, 2008

By KING Staff

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. — A man and woman remain stranded on a narrow ledge in the North Cascades.

Sheriff's Search and Rescue spokesman Joel Pratt said the hikers, 33-year-old Matthew Edwards and 27-year-old Robin Gibson, both from Wisconsin, called Wednesday night to say they were stuck at about 6,000 feet in the area of Spire Point, east of Darrington.

Pratt said Edwards and Gibson set out on the trail on Sunday and were descending when they lost much of their gear down the side of the mountain. What!! (emphasis mine)

A Navy helicopter tried to reach them Wednesday night but deteriorating weather conditions forced the crew to return to Whidbey Island Naval Air Station.

A specialized team from Pierce County was headed up to search for the hikers and helicopters from NAS Whidbey and from Fairchild Air Force base in Spokane are assisting.

Search and rescue staff are worried about hypothermia.

"The clothes that they had for dry clothes were in their packs. They're currently just wearing what they were wearing on their day hike, and they've been through several rain storms by now and one full evening," said Deputy Brad Holmes.

The Skagit County Sheriff's Office says if the weather has not cleared enough to allow for an air rescue the tentative plan is to have mountain rescue personnel stay overnight with the stranded hikers.

SCA is sudden cardiac arrest.. but it sounds like King5 jumped the gun on saying it was a heart attack (or even any sudden illness resulting in loss of balance/consciousness).. probably because they heard CPR was being done? anyway, we'll probably hear more on the details of the fall (where it occurred, what caused it), but another factor was that visibility up there was next to nil

And the Three Fingers mission from a couple of days ago. More people should check the weather forecast.

I think I just read in yesterday's paper that that mission is still ongoing. One of three has descended, the other two remain trapped but are with rescuers and are awaiting clearing weather before NAS Whidbey can return with a helo. All are teenagers (16 and 17 years old).