PDX Ice Festival 2008

John Frieh

Hey, I do not have a prg belay card. I haven't climbed there since a few years before the move, and then it was only a couple of times bouldering. Should I try to get in earlier to get one? How does it work?

Figured I should ask this before I show up expecting to climb, eh?

dave

Give me $50 and I'll hook you up. :laf:

Last year the belaying was done by pros I think, and contestants all got equal penalty slack.

Edited by billcoe

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I do not have a prg belay card. I haven't climbed there since a few years before the move, and then it was only a couple of times bouldering. Should I try to get in earlier to get one? How does it work?

Figured I should ask this before I show up expecting to climb, eh?

dave

If you plan on just demoing gear all you will need to do is sign a waiver. I would suggest bring your own harness/rock shoes but it isnt a requirement as the PRG rents them.

If you plan on entering the comp you need to do all of the above plus either bring your own tools (or use some of the demo tools) as well as be on time! We ran out of comp slots last year and it will not surprise me if the same thing happens this year.

We will have belayers on hand so dont worry about having your belay card with you

Hope to see you all there!

how bout the "Tools with Fools festival"?, ore better yet the "Fools and Tools Fest 08"?

I do believe I will come. The competition is open to anyone eh? even super ice noobs? sounds like my kinda place!

I was thinking the same thing... Fools on Tools Festival...

Dear internet tough guys

I know the concept of climbing plastic holds in a gym and calling it ice climbing seems silly if not "foolish" however if you check out Extreme Alpinism by Twight or Ice and Mixed Climbing by Gadd or Mixed Climbing by Isaac you will find multiple chapters devoted to ice climbing training which in fact suggest and recommend practicing tool placement and usage on indoor routes. Then again… if your idea of climbing ice is the south side of hood then chances are your legs will pump out well before your forearms do so no worries and by all means heckle away. :grlaf:

But I digress... the primary motivation of holding this event each year is to simultaneously raise awareness and funds for deserving non profit climbing organization(s) as well as getting the climbing community together for some :brew: :brew:. It’s why people like Gary and the PRG and Marcus and I actually don’t mind funding the event on our own dime... because in the end we all have a great time.

I hope you all come even if you dont enter the comp... Mr Wayne Wallace will be putting on an excellent slide show about ice climbing in the gorge... who wouldn't want to know more about the ice routes in our back yard? :)

Shit, John, you guys put this shindig on with your own coin? I didn't know that. Props, man. :tup: :tup:

I'd come down, since I'm gonna be in Vancouver on Thursday & Friday, but I gotta get back home for fall rigging training with my MR unit on Sat and Sun. But have a blast, man!

john, were you a prison guard in a former life? :P lighten up amigo! everyone's stoked and coming along and having fun w/ the title - it's important when you know you're gonna flail like a fool (and dave certainly know's that's him :) ) in front of a room full of hardmen to effect that swagger of the red-blooded, bambi-having-sex-with studdude beforehand, if only for comical-effect, dig?

john, were you a prison guard in a former life? :P lighten up amigo! everyone's stoked and coming along and having fun w/ the title - it's important when you know you're gonna flail like a fool (and dave certainly know's that's him :) ) in front of a room full of hardmen to effect that swagger of the red-blooded, bambi-having-sex-with studdude beforehand, if only for comical-effect, dig?
I'd have said sumpin about hardman fest if it rhymed with tool... Not sure if I will make it, I'm to big a puss for that ice climbing shiat. Sun might come out and melt all my pro. Although I've dabbled in it, it is certainly not my passion. I'd like to make the fest, just for the social part. I can practice my anti-social skills.

Dave, everyone would be tickled pink to have you, you and I can hang out at or near the keg and when I get too shitfaced to pour it in a glass, you can help me save face, and beer, by taking over. Seriously, I haven't seen an ice tool for 20 years, it's about hanging out and cheering our warrior brothers on. Some of these folks, like Wayne and a bunch of others, don't get seen in these parts much any more.Like John says, bring some extra scratch to buy some raffle tickets, you might walk away with something, but in either case it's a worthy cause and an opportunity to meet strange people.

Dave, everyone would be tickled pink to have you, you and I can hang out at or near the keg and when I get too shitfaced to pour it in a glass, you can help me save face, and beer, by taking over. Seriously, I haven't seen an ice tool for 20 years, it's about hanging out and cheering our warrior brothers on. Some of these folks, like Wayne and a bunch of others, don't get seen in these parts much any more.Like John says, bring some extra scratch to buy some raffle tickets, you might walk away with something, but in either case it's a worth cause.

Bill - please don't hoard the designated keg area - that's my job. Oh - make sure to bring your flask with the good ol' stuff ;)

DDave - hope you can make it! Listen to our Master John :) Fun times and a good cause!