PDX Ice Festival 2008

John Frieh

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its called the 'PDX Icefest' cuz we're a celebration of ice and mixed climbing and also a kind of pre-season gathering of the tribe. PNW ice climbers are way too hard-headed to let just a lack of ice stop us. Its about dusting off our ice axes, connecting with partners, training those swings and lock-offs, sharing stories and getting the stoke on! Its also a great opportunity for lotsa folks from beyond the climbing community to come check out something unique - if we called it the 'Mixed-fest' most folks probably wouldn't even know what what we were talking about...

Friendly comps, community building, free beer, good times and some schweet prizes all in the name of charity? C'mon...check the spray and come on down!

Looking forward to it John and Marcus. Last year's was a blast.

And if any of you are there, make sure I get a pic of you to upload into the gallery. I'll be the one with glasses, camera in one hand, beer in the other :) I don't match up avatars with pics so you remain anonymous, but it's fun to show all the cc.comers in attendance.

Last year it was as cross country meet - so I quit that. This year I have mountain rescue training - what gives?

If Sobo reads this, can this count as fall rigging? They're going to be ropes in use?

Oooopsie!!!1 I just got an invite to this from Melissa, but I forgot that Fall Rigging is that same weekend. :blush: Sadly, no, kevin, it will not count as Fall Rigging training. I'll be driving in late from a couple days bid'niss over in Vancouver, so I might be a little slow to get moving on Saturday. Be there or be square.

I've never been able to avoid the free kegs prior to the comp. We need an enforcer!

I don't know how that works, but I can pour for any one who steps up :lmao:

I do have to say though, one or 2 would help one loosen up, but more than that and I have visions of a leashless tool flipping over through the air a few times and planting into a spectator skull as someone slips off a hold and loses their grip... I'm surprised that didn't happen last year even with no beers. I'll be there in the free beer keg line for sure if anyone wants to say hi to me.

I'll buy plenty of raffle tickets John, it's a good cause ---- esp if they can use the proceeds to put some new bolts into Dwayers backyard. I'd pay extra for that. Just sayin' is all...

How about "Dry tooling on plastic in fall"?

For once I would have to agree with Kev.

Its called the 'PDX Icefest' cuz we're a celebration of ice and mixed climbing and also a kind of pre-season gathering of the tribe. PNW ice climbers are way too hard-headed to let just a lack of ice stop us. Its about dusting off our ice axes, connecting with partners, training those swings and lock-offs, sharing stories and getting the stoke on! Its also a great opportunity for lotsa folks from beyond the climbing community to come check out something unique - if we called it the 'Mixed-fest' most folks probably wouldn't even know what what we were talking about...

Friendly comps, community building, free beer, good times and some schweet prizes all in the name of charity? C'mon...check the spray and come on down!

Kev will be joining us... hope you all will do the same :)

Hey, I do not have a prg belay card. I haven't climbed there since a few years before the move, and then it was only a couple of times bouldering. Should I try to get in earlier to get one? How does it work?

Figured I should ask this before I show up expecting to climb, eh?

dave