Free Membership for Climbing Wall Volunteers

timmatsui

I'm managing a 28x24 meter Entreprise climbing wall installed by Allstar Fitness at their Westlake Executive Club facility, downtown in the Medical Dental Building near Westlake Center. I'm looking for additional volunteers.

Duties are belaying, belay instruction, belay testing, teaching of technique, and route setting. You will be working mostly with rank beginners so your patience and psych will be important.

Hours available are Mon-Thurs from 5.30-8.30 (class times are between 6-8). If you would like to work on route setting you can do that anytime the gym is open.

In exchange for your once-a-week duties you are entitled to a free membership to Allstar which means you can use any of their facilities (Westlake, Seattle Municipal Tower, West Seattle, Tacoma). There are two other Allstar climbing walls, swimming pools, classes, steam rooms...it's a pretty plush gym and you'll have access to all the other ones. Also, to its credit, the Executive Club has a well-equipped women's only workout room.

Check out the facilities: http://allstarfitness.com/club_locations.htm

And let me know if you're interested:

Tim Matsui

tim (at) timmatsui (dot) com

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm bumping this post. Some folks have responded to this offer, much appreciated, but I'd like to have a few more people on the roster so we have at least two people per night, some route setters, and some alternates in case someone can't make it in because they're sick or injured or leaving for Columbia University (been known to happen).

The gym is downtown, it's pretty darn nice, and the wall is something you could get a great pump on. Hell, you could start with a kickboxing session, followed by a climbing session, then get your crossfit set in, and finish up with a yoga session. You know, the multisport athlete.

And women: one of the new volunteers would like to start a women's night, which is great because most of the interest in the wall comes from female gym members.

Again, if you're interested:

Tim Matsui

tim (at) timmatsui (dot) com