Checkpoint Charlie

olyclimber

We've had drunk driving checkpoints for decades. Seems like the same thing. Got a problem with those too, Bug? They run on the premise of assuming guilt before innocence, and demanding you show your driver's licence (Ihre Papiere).

KK, I don't like the drunk driving checkpoints either, but you can't really draw a parallel between the two. Like it or not, driving is a privilege (a trite phrase, but true) regulated by the state. You consent to this unreasonable search and seizure when you get your license. Also, you are not asked to provide identification until you are detained on the suspicion of being under the influence (at least I've never had to show my license). Yes, it stinks. In fact, it sucks donkey dick :hcluv:.

This is something different. You are on a public road miles from the border. You can be subject to this search even as a passenger. You are being asked to produce identification for no good reason, for merely being there. This stinks far, far worse :mad:

Don't worry, the Iraq vets that will be manning these checkpoints will have had plenty of experience.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something different. You are on a public road miles from the border. You can be subject to this search even as a passenger. You are being asked to produce identification for no good reason, for merely being there. This stinks far, far worse :mad:

Interestingly, I just crossed the Hood Canal Bridge this w/e and didn't see any checkpoints, yet alone have to stop at one. I've also never seen a drunk-driving checkpoint (I don't go out on New Year's Eve).

Sounds like a good way to prevent terrorism and drug (as well as human) traffiking.

i want my drugs to be traffiked

i could give a shit about immigrants

are you really that afraid of terrorists?

1) What is the #1 source of funding for Al Qaida?

2) I was refering to indentured servants and forced prostitution (#1 place of import is in your backyard)

3) I have already been shot by one.

Pedro the gardener is the # 1 source of funding for Al Qaeda?

Fuck me....

Edited by tvashtarkatena

We've had drunk driving checkpoints for decades. Seems like the same thing. Got a problem with those too, Bug? They run on the premise of assuming guilt before innocence, and demanding you show your driver's licence (Ihre Papiere).

KK, I don't like the drunk driving checkpoints either, but you can't really draw a parallel between the two. Like it or not, driving is a privilege (a trite phrase, but true) regulated by the state. You consent to this unreasonable search and seizure when you get your license. Also, you are not asked to provide identification until you are detained on the suspicion of being under the influence (at least I've never had to show my license). Yes, it stinks. In fact, it sucks donkey dick :hcluv:.

Like, why don't they just control the border at, like, the border, you know? Wouldn't that be a bit more air tight than a bunch of scattered, well publicized checkpoints fucking up everybody's day?

Like, why don't they just control the border at, like, the border, you know? Wouldn't that be a bit more air tight than a bunch of scattered, well publicized checkpoints fucking up everybody's day?

1) On the North lies the largest unfenced border on Earth.

2) There is no such thing as an air-tight border. Many times, it is easier to predict what someone will do after they think they have crossed undetected and begin to get sloppy than to try and catch someone's well choreographed night-time movement through un-patrolled forests or desert.

1) On the North lies the largest unfenced border on Earth.

2) There is no such thing as an air-tight border. Many times, it is easier to predict what someone will do after they think they have crossed undetected and begin to get sloppy than to try and catch someone's well choreographed night-time movement through un-patrolled forests or desert.

It also happens to be the friendliest border on earth, so no fence would seem appropriate.

And I don't buy the second argument at all. Any resources you plow into a checkpoint would have greater benefits at your 'perimeter'; after all, you always want to snip a problem at the bud, right?

You can whine and bitch all you want. It is exactly what you asked for and you remember what they say about getting exactly what you want...

No, I did not ask for it. "WE" asked for it, the collective "you and I and Joe and Jane Citizen". At least have the balls to include yourself in that group if you're lumping me in with them...

This strikes me as a horrible abuse of our freedoms, and I am disappointed that it has gone this far and spread outside of upstate NY :( IMHO this is not worth the cost to society.

There is no easy answer to the question of how to best solve this. However, throwing up your hands and saying, "oh well, what are you gonna do" doesn't really advance the ball.

You can whine and bitch all you want. It is exactly what you asked for and you remember what they say about getting exactly what you want...

No, I did not ask for it. "WE" asked for it, the collective "you and I and Joe and Jane Citizen". At least have the balls to include yourself in that group if you're lumping me in with them...

This strikes me as a horrible abuse of our freedoms, and I am disappointed that it has gone this far and spread outside of upstate NY :( IMHO this is not worth the cost to society.

There is no easy answer to the question of how to best solve this. However, throwing up your hands and saying, "oh well, what are you gonna do" doesn't really advance the ball.

Obama will fix everything.

It is friendly between nations; yes. That doesn't mean that others might not take advantage of the trust between the two nations.

If you can. I can tell you that getting through woods unnoticed in the dark (even against trained professionals) is pretty damn easy; even when you are talking about a small target area. Now, when you have thousands of miles to work with, it is too easy. Employing the number necessary to patrol that large of a border would be too cost prohibitive to even mention a suggestion. You would have to put outposts in some extremely remote areas and the manpower requirements would be mind-boggling.

It is far easier to rely on the innate human patterns and predict and intercept criminal behavior after the criminal thinks he has jumped the last high hurdle.

2) I was refering to indentured servants and forced prostitution (#1 place of import is in your backyard)

1. well, it's not alcohol sales, b/c that's the drug we legalized - i'm sure anhauser busch and phillip morris would love to taek al qaida's rice bowl from them, and they'd have my loyal support i'm sure

2. it would seem ironic that, to protect the freedoms of the non-americans your checkpoints are designed to save, you'd shit on the freedoms of americans already here

3. were you shot at by a terrorist in this country? or are you playing the part of the redcoats of 1778, bitterly complaining about the "terrorists" who shot at them while forcibly occupying the terrorists' own land?

1. well, it's not alcohol sales, b/c that's the drug we legalized - i'm sure anhauser busch and phillip morris would love to taek al qaida's rice bowl from them, and they'd have my loyal support i'm sure

2. it would seem ironic that, to protect the freedoms of the non-americans your checkpoints are designed to save, you'd shit on the freedoms of americans already here

3. were you shot at by a terrorist in this country? or are you playing the part of the redcoats of 1778, bitterly complaining about the "terrorists" who shot at them while forcibly occupying the terrorists' own land?

1) What does ETOH have to do with anything?

2) The people asked for more protection. They got it.

3) Neither actually.

Many times, it is easier to predict what someone will do after they think they have crossed undetected

Namely, trying to get a fucking job.

I am talking about traffickers and such.

I think it'd be better if we just started using the word "browns" as a kind of catch-all phrase for all your paranoid fantasy "thems".

Many times, it is easier to predict what someone will do after they think they have crossed undetected

Namely, trying to get a fucking job.

I am talking about traffickers and such.

I think it'd be better if we just started using the word "browns" as a kind of catch-all phrase for all your paranoid fantasy "thems".

Are you saying all traffickers are hispanic in origin? Seems a little discriminatory there Kommrad.

It is friendly between nations; yes. That doesn't mean that others might not take advantage of the trust between the two nations.

If you can. I can tell you that getting through woods unnoticed in the dark (even against trained professionals) is pretty damn easy; even when you are talking about a small target area. Now, when you have thousands of miles to work with, it is too easy. Employing the number necessary to patrol that large of a border would be too cost prohibitive to even mention a suggestion. You would have to put outposts in some extremely remote areas and the manpower requirements would be mind-boggling.

It is far easier to rely on the innate human patterns and predict and intercept criminal behavior after the criminal thinks he has jumped the last high hurdle.

Dude, what SOLAR SYSTEM are you from? A-rabs don't backpack. Sheeit, even KKK knows that, and he's dumber than a post, or even one of his posts. What, you think Abdul's gonna come trekking over the PCT in his rayon sweater, double knit slacks and Eye-tralian dancing shoes? Carrying what? His wife's Christian Dior handbag full of plutonium? The only thing that's gonna come across the mosquito infested Canadian border cut is a few kilos of BC bud on the back of some enterprising hippy, and, frankly, I'm all for it. Those 'open' mountains and their deerflies, blackflies, no see ums, mosquitoes, horseflies, grizzlies, moose, cougars, and bushy tailed wood rats are the best security any nation could hope for.