Checkpoint Charlie

olyclimber

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a good way to prevent terrorism and drug (as well as human) traffiking.

Sounds like a great way to keep you and your "co-workers" employed when you get out of the army and back from Iraq. And the makers of surveillance equipment, anti-personnel devices, razor-wire, guns, tanks, and concrete barriers. It's not a police-state, it's a stimulus package!

Sounds like a good way to prevent terrorism and drug (as well as human) traffiking.

i want my drugs to be traffiked

i could give a shit about immigrants (though, i suppose by turnign our nation into a police state, that might make'em want to save themselves the trouble of traveling and they can stay in their own)

are you really that afraid of terrorists?

i remember passing through the real checkpoint charlie when i was in the scouts in 5th grade - on the way back through, the east german guards noted how we'd left a 10 year old behind at the brandenburg gate :)

For years the Washington State Patrol did the same thing, randomly pulling cars over at "checkpoints".

I believe court decisions stopped them from doing it.

And, yes, in a democracy the citizenry does get to tell law enforcement how to do their jobs.

well it will be interesting to see the courts interpret the legality with the Patriot Act in the mix. it seems that a lot of things that were illegal before regarding what the State can do to its Citizens has changed.

IMO the terrorists won when the Patriot Act passed.

"You won't see a Border Patrol agent telling doctors or lawyers how to do their jobs," he said.

Uh, Yeah. That's logical. Until we open the concentration camps.

"But you will see people trying to tell us how to do our job, even though we're trained to do it."

Apparently their job does not include upholding the constitution.

Vee pridt ourselvs on our precision training.

Vee can spot an enemy of the state und nuetralize zem from ten meters.

"You won't see a Border Patrol agent telling doctors or lawyers how to do their jobs," he said.

Uh, Yeah. That's logical. Until we open the concentration camps.

"But you will see people trying to tell us how to do our job, even though we're trained to do it."

Apparently their job does not include upholding the constitution.

Vee pridt ourselvs on our precision training.

Vee can spot an enemy of the state und nuetralize zem from ten meters.

We've had drunk driving checkpoints for decades. Seems like the same thing. Got a problem with those too, Bug? They run on the premise of assuming guilt before innocence, and demanding you show your driver's licence (Ihre Papiere).

i want my drugs to be traffiked

i could give a shit about immigrants

are you really that afraid of terrorists?

1) What is the #1 source of funding for Al Qaida?

2) I was refering to indentured servants and forced prostitution (#1 place of import is in your backyard)

3) I have already been shot by one.

We've had drunk driving checkpoints for decades. Seems like the same thing. Got a problem with those too, Bug? They run on the premise of assuming guilt before innocence, and demanding you show your driver's licence (Ihre Papiere).

KK, I don't like the drunk driving checkpoints either, but you can't really draw a parallel between the two. Like it or not, driving is a privilege (a trite phrase, but true) regulated by the state. You consent to this unreasonable search and seizure when you get your license. Also, you are not asked to provide identification until you are detained on the suspicion of being under the influence (at least I've never had to show my license). Yes, it stinks. In fact, it sucks donkey dick :hcluv:.

This is something different. You are on a public road miles from the border. You can be subject to this search even as a passenger. You are being asked to produce identification for no good reason, for merely being there. This stinks far, far worse :mad:

Sure does. What is there to do? The masses cry out for more protection from terrorists, prosecute drug rings, shore up our borders, ect. There is not a magical wand that will make this happen.

You can whine and bitch all you want. It is exactly what you asked for and you remember what they say about getting exactly what you want...