[TR] Ingalls Peak - South Ridge 8/16/2008

Le Piston

Trip: Ingalls Peak - South Ridge

Date: 8/16/2008

Trip Report:

I had been trying to get my friend Shawn up Ingalls Peak for a couple of years. He is an animal on indoor walls and sport climbs, but hasn't done much alpine rock. I consider Ingalls a nice introduction to the alpine world...nice approach trail, beautiful views, clean rock and straightforward climbing. Our last try didn't make it past the trailhead, as a forest fire had the trail closed. When we pulled up last weekend we saw a notice regarding the Jack Creek fire...deja vu. Not to be deterred, we forged on into the sunset light. The views from the pass of the flaring trees was pretty awesome, but the fire never threatened us or blew smoke our way. The next morning I hiked over to Ingalls Lake to feed the skeeters, take pictures of goats, recon the approach, and chat with some climbers headed for Stuart. I collected a well rested Shawn and we headed back to the lake. The gulley had a few snow patches, but we easily hiked around them up to Dogtooth Spires. We had the mountain all to ourselves (A first on a nice summer weekend!). We protected 3 pitches and scrambled up to the summit. I never tire of the great views in that area. Shawn didn't enjoy the hiking, but liked the climbing and scenery. I'll keep trying to convert him!

P1010894.JPGP1010895.JPGP1010896.JPG

Gear Notes:

Light alpine rack with cams to 3 inches. We took a single 60 meter rope and were able to rap the whole thing. Bring bug juice, they await you!

Approach Notes:

Someone on a Stuart TR had asked about snow. There are still some patches on the approach, but these are easily avoided...so no ice axe, crampons, gaiters, etc. needed.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...