Emmons Route - Mid/Late September

jstluise

My partner and I would like to get up Rainier one more time this summer, but my schedule won't allow it until the middle or end of September. After a long traverse from Muir onto the Emmons at the end of August last year, I would like to try a different approach and go directly up the Emmons from camp Sherman.

What do you guys think? I know it will be heavily crevassed, but I don't know how bad. This would be my first time on the Emmons route (it has been DC the last couple years).

How late in the season is this route climbed? Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I've been keeping an eye out for past TRs around that time but haven't found much on here or summitpost. I'll keep looking. I figured since the DC route has stayed in this good of shape for so long (compared to last year) that the Emmons route would be okay in September. I guess I could call the Ranger Station and see if they have any info once we get a little ways into September.

jmo, my partner was talking about his friend coming along if we do go, but I'll keep you in mind. Thanks!

I did the Emmons in 2005 in mid August and the decent onto the Glacier from Curtis was horednous. When we went back, the rangers asked us to go up and over the little rock formation right out of camp (can't remember what that point is - Prouty?)Which is a choss climb in itself. The gl;acier will likely be in great shape. Also, due to low snow the rangers asked us not to ascend the Inter Glacier but to hike up the ridge to the left and traverse to Curtis. We were the only one's on route and it was very straightforward once on the Emmons. Rangers may be gone by then as well.

Yeah I've been keeping an eye out for past TRs around that time but haven't found much on here or summitpost. I'll keep looking. ...

http://mountrainierconditions.blogspot.com/2008/05/emmons-winthrop-glacier-w-inter-glacier.html

I actually just checked that out before I signed onto the board. Sounds like it would be okay...unfortunately I can't squeeze in another climb like I hoped. I have a trip up Adams I want to go on for sure and a non-stop trip around wonderland trail coming up. Then college starts back up...just not enough time!!! There is always next year. Good to know though that the Emmons is in good shape this late in the season.