Ozone Guidebook Release Party

crimper

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill: I have fliers too... but 'crimper' is much cuter - you should get them from him instead ;) if things dont work-out, ping me.

Have to disagree with that cute assessment:-) ;) , however Bryan has some in the mail so I'll all set, but thank you Jen.

BTW, Jason's picture of you and the area absofrikanloutly rocks on all counts. It even makes the area look better than I think I've ever seen it:-) Huge props to the shutter clicker.

Jim just weighed in and suggested you folks think about posting one of the posters on the Ozone trail...soon if you haven't yet (Laminated or in a plastic bag I suppose).

Good idea, no doubt. For a one time "secret crag" it's interesting how many people climb out there 50+ days a year without meeting one another. Also interesting is that some have never heard of cc.com! This cause warrants mass exposure. As a resident of NW PDX, I would also suggest hitting up local businesses on 23rd and 21st avenues to advertise in windows, etc. Many people in this neighborhood are pretty community oriented and may attend/donate whether they are climbers or not (and many go to the Lucky Lab on a regular basis anyway).

Good on the coordinators of this much anticipated event!

I plan on putting a flyer out at the zone on Sunday. Let me know if there is one out there already as I will be on my way to beacon and just stopping by.

If anyone needs a flyer I have a few and I believe pinkchalk has some. She was kind enough to print them out for us.

See ya all at the party. Oh yeah, don't forget about the silent auction. I just got 3cases of wine from work that I'll be splitting up into many 4 and 6 packs for individual bidding. Its not beer but it has alchohol in it!!

Stewart

I plan on putting a flyer out at the zone on Sunday. Let me know if there is one out there already as I will be on my way to beacon and just stopping by.

If anyone needs a flyer I have a few and I believe pinkchalk has some. She was kind enough to print them out for us.

See ya all at the party. Oh yeah, don't forget about the silent auction. I just got 3cases of wine from work that I'll be splitting up into many 4 and 6 packs for individual bidding. Its not beer but it has alchohol in it!!

Stewart

Cool, I was going to blow up a small a color poster and put it there, but thanks for doing that. 6 pack of wine...I can do that.

BTW, MarkD (and Boner), check your emails, I'm drained so it's on you folks now to move the ball forward, good luck.

Put the blown up 11 x 17" laminated poster on the big tree just before the trail starts heading down. I marked it on the bottom with a felt tip pen, "Please give to Jim Opdycke after event" or some thing to that effect. So its my intent that Jim gets it to brighten up his video store.

Nice. I've got blown-up to 11 x 17 laminated posters on the Ozone (as of Wednesday night) and the populr Rocky Butte trail to Video Bluff (as of Thursday night -Ujahn and I bouldered last night up there).

Getting one in the case a Beacon should be done as well if someone can get one there and ask the rangers to put one in there.

:wave:

Pretty sure the case if for "official business" only but maybe JH can work his magic and get it in there. He was taking Ranger Ben up the corner today. Glad to see someone is working on having good relations with the man. Although I doubt Ivan shares this sentiment... Better to get them out climbing and maybe working for us instead of against us (IMO).

Although I doubt Ivan shares this sentiment... Better to get them out climbing and maybe working for us instead of against us (IMO).

i totally disagree, at least if they're going to be climbing as rangers intent on applying ranger-rules along the way, and not just as joe-civilians out trying to have fun like everybody else.

a side issue though, and best discussed in another thread - i'd say just put one up on the post down by the rock and fuck asking the tool if he's okay w/ it.

Pretty sure the case if for "official business" only but maybe JH can work his magic and get it in there. He was taking Ranger Ben up the corner today. Glad to see someone is working on having good relations with the man. Although I doubt Ivan shares this sentiment...

I think that's not a good thing as well. Giving a man part of the equation or part of the knowledge needed to be a climber could possibly be deadly to that person and that would be a horrible thing. The learning curve for learning to climb is long, which is why I rarely climb with any one who has not been doing it for at least 2 years.

But that's for another thread. The Madrone clean up is a few days before the event, lets make sure that is covered too, maybe someone can take a poster out to that event as well.

Ben came to Beacon to climb. He had shoes, harness, helmet, and a couple of sessions in the gym before coming here and climbing was one of the main reasons he applied for John's job. He's also is from Camas and had been trying to get back home. Add to that, he said if he had his way, he'd spend his entire WSP career at Beacon. Bottomline? Ben is going to be with us for a very long time and is going to be climbing whether we like it or not, and whether we take him or not.

The only question is who introduces and orients him to climbing? If it's not us that takes him, then it's going to be someone who isn't us. Possibly some other law enforcement types or some psycho-SAR crew. Is that really what you folks want? And given he's likely going to be here on the order of decades, I'd personally say everyone will be a lot better off with as decent a relationship as possible with him than an adversarial one.

And actually, he's a good kid, he means well, he's trying to do the right things, but he's still young - better we help and hope he learns and that he'll mellow and end up more like John over time, rather than end up someone who is less accomodating, alienated, and/or even hostile. To some extent the choice is ours. As far as his potential as a climber goes; I, like many of you, have taken a lot of folks up the Corner over the years - he was a bit surprising in that he solidly floated it - fast, casually, and relaxed, first time outdoors - seemed almost like YW might actually have been a better choice for a first climb.

Again, he's climbing with or without us. Given that, and all in all, for me this falls under a life category not that much different than "we're here, we're queer (or straight in this case), get used to it..." and the onus is on us to decide, one way or the other, how this relationship is going to play out both now and in the future - we either make the relationship work, or, my guess anyway, is in the long run it isn't going to go so great in general as years roll by.

Me? I'll be gone in a couple of years, you folks will still be here and I'm simply suggesting you consider what you want your future to look like. Sure, you aren't going to be partying hard with him - that's clearly a poor choice for all concerned - but I think everyone should all be able to find a way to get along and not play out another adversarial decade. Or not, I suppose.

P.S. I gave Ben Jim's copy of the O-event poster this morning and he said he'd post it up in the case - still, it probably wouldn't hurt to put one up down the trail somewhere as well.

Blew them up and sealed them

Ozone_posters_small.jpg

Put one at Ozone Wednesday

Ozone_event_poster_at_Ozone.jpg

And one at Rocky Butte Thursday.

Rocky_butte_posting_of_Ozone_event_poster.jpg

I don't expect the Rocky Butte one to last long. I wrote on felt tip on the Ozone one, "please give poster to Jim Opdycke after event".

I checked on both this weekend and they were still there. Anyone thinking to run some b & w handouts to give out at the Madrone cleanup?