Wind River Range Beta

TimL

Thinking about maybe taking a trip to the Winds in the next couple of weeks. I've never been to this area and know little about it. Any beta on how to get there, good climbs, approaches, season, permits, climbing areas close by, etc...would be greatly welcomed! Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were at the Cirque just a month ago and did the Wolf's Head and NE Buttress Pingora. The approach is long, way longer than the so call 7 miles more like 9 miles. Definitely don't follow the standard trail and do the shortcut version instead because the standard trail is very dumb (gain and loose elevation so many times). I think it took us 4-5 hours to get to camp. No permit is needed, bring water filter as I heard water is quite polluted there due to heavy traffic. Also, depending when you go, mosquito net might be a good idea. We were swamped by them. Wolf's Head is very fun and a must do route. The descent for this is less enjoyable due to loose terrain at the col. NE Buttress Pingora is also a great route and descent is so easy. First pitch is the trickiest to find but when you find it, it will get you to the good stuff. I had to downclimb and backtrack a few times until I finally so the 5.8 traverse. PM if you need more info. Have fun!

It is in wyoming - where men are men, so are the women, the sheep are nervous, and the antelope run wild. Oh yeah, if you see a wolf shoot it.

PS I would take the above description of going into the Cirque with a grain of salt. The approach is pretty casual until Jack Ass Pass then it is just up and over.